1. Home  
  2. Immigration  
  3. Immigrate permanently to Québec  
  4. Sponsor a family member  
  5. Sponsoring a dependent child  
  6. Verifying your eligibility to sponsor a dependent child

Verifying your eligibility to sponsor a dependent child

To sponsor your dependent child, you must meet the following conditions. 

Confirmation from the Government of Canada of your eligibility as a guarantor

You must have submitted a sponsorship application in advance to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) This hyperlink will open in a new window.. You must then have received a letter from IRCC that:

  • Was sent to you, not to the person you want to sponsor;
  • Indicates that you are eligible for the sponsorship;
  • Invites you to continue the steps you are taking with the Gouvernement du Québec.

Note that, at this stage, IRCC has, in general, recognized your eligibility as a sponsor, but has not yet verified:

  • The family relationship between you and the person you want to sponsor;
  • The other requirements that the person you want to sponsor must comply with to obtain permanent residence.

Conditions that the person you sponsor must comply with

You must make sure that the child you wish to sponsor meets the requirements of h the conditions of the family reunification category for sponsoring a dependent child.

Citizenship or permanent residence

You must have Canadian citizenship or permanent residence.

Place of residence

You must live in Québec. If you are a Canadian citizen, you may reside abroad at the time of application, but you must undertake to reside in Québec when your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner becomes a permanent resident.


You must be at least 18 years of age.

Financial capacity

If the dependent child you sponsor also has a dependent child, you must demonstrate that you have sufficient financial resources to comply with your undertaking.

If your dependent child does not have a dependent child, you do not have to demonstrate your financial capacity.

Child already adopted

If you sponsor a dependent child you have already adopted, you must:

  • Obtain Obtain an official document proving the validity of the full adoption (full adoption completely breaks the parent-child relationship between the child and his or her family of origin);
  • Demonstrate that the adoption took place before you obtained your permanent residence

Parental consent

If the dependent child is under 18 and the parent who holds or exercises parental authority is not accompanying the child to Québec, you must obtain their written authorization for the child to settle in Québec.

Financial obligations

If you have already made a sponsorship undertaking or undertakings, you must demonstrate that:

  • You have honoured your financial obligations;
  • If applicable, you have repaid to the Gouvernement du Québec or another province any sum that was disbursed to this person as last resort financial assistance (social assistance).  

Last resort financial assistance (social assistance)

You must not have received last resort financial assistance, except if this assistance is given to you due to your age or disability, which creates barriers to your employment that are severe, permanent or for an indefinite term.


If you must pay support after an official judgment, you must have honoured your obligations over the past five years. Otherwise, you must have repaid any amount owed.

Offence against the person

You must not have been convicted, in Canada or abroad, of murder or an offence provided for in Schedule I or II of the Corrections and Conditional Release Act This hyperlink will open in a new window., particularly:

  • A sexual offence;
  • An attempt or threat to commit a sexual offence;
  • An offence causing bodily harm;
  • An attempt or threat of offence causing bodily harm.

If you have been convicted of any of these offences, you must have been acquitted as a last resort or rehabilitated or have finished serving your sentence at least five years before submitting your application.

Removal or detention measure

You must not be the object of a Government of Canada deportation measure or be detained in a penitentiary or a prison.


Contact the ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration

Last update: April 18, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec