Special rules may apply, or the general zone rules may differ in certain fishing areas. When you visit one of these areas, it is up to you to obtain the necessary information from the staff at the information office.

Controlled harvesting zones (ZECs)

To fish in one of these areas, which are managed by non-profit organizations, you must:

  • register at the information office;
  • pay the access and fishing fees and abide by the dates, times and sites indicated;
  • register your catch when you leave.

You must carry the registration document with you or place it in view on your vehicle dashboard, so that it is readable from outside. A wildlife protection officer, a wildlife officer assistant or a warden may ask to see it.

To find a ZEC, click on Network of ZECs This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Outfitting operations

Outfitting operations are businesses that offer accommodation and a variety of services and equipment for anglers. Some outfitting operations have exclusive fishing rights in specific areas, and in this case they may be subject to different rules than the rest of the zone (e.g. fishing periods, catch limits for salmonids, length limits). Particular rules also apply to outfitting operations in Northern Québec. Regardless of the area in which your chosen outfitter is located, the applicable rules will be explained to you at the beginning of your stay.

To find an outfitter, visit the website of the Fédération des pourvoiries du Québec This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Québec provincial parks and wildlife reserves

These areas are for the majority managed by the Société des établissements de plein air du Québec (SEPAQ). To fish in one of these, you must:

  • pay the access fees and abide by the dates, times and sites indicated;
  • report your daily catches at the end of your stay (any salmon you catch must be presented whole, so that they can be measured and recorded).

We recommand that you make a reservation.

Please note that the rules for these areas may differ from those applicable to the zone. For information on the rules, or to identify a park or reserve, visit the SEPAQ This hyperlink will open in a new window. website or the websites of the following wildlife reserves: Duchénier This hyperlink will open in a new window., Dunière This hyperlink will open in a new window.and Lacs-Albanel-Mistassini-et-Waconichi This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Communal wildlife areas (CWAs)

A communal wildlife area (CWA) is a public body of water (river or lake) on which a non-profit organization is responsible for developing fishing. To fish there, you must obtain both a provincial licence AND a permission from the organization responsible for the CWA you wish to visit:

Baskatong Reservoir communal wildlife area This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Gouin Reservoir communal wildlife area This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Lac Saint-Jean communal wildlife area This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Lac Saint-Pierre communal wildlife area This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Wildlife sanctuaries

The purpose of a wildlife sanctuary is to preserve wildlife habitats, and special conditions respecting access to and travel within the sanctuary may apply. Contact the local or regional wildlife protection office of the sanctuary you wish to visit to make sure you understand and comply with the rules. 

In the PierreÉtienneFortin wildlife sanctuary, fishing is prohibited between June 20 and July 20 in sectors B and C of the sanctuary (zone 8).

Learn more about Québec’s nine wildlife sanctuaries This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Ecological reserves

Ecological reserves are protected areas devoted to conservation, education and research. Fishing is prohibited in all ecological reserves. Discover Québec’s ecological reserves This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Fish ponds

A fish pond is a body of water covering an area of 20 ha maximum, containing only farmed fish. Fishing is allowed year-round, with no catch limit and without the need to obtain a licence. However, the owner of the fish pond must have a fish pond operating licence in order to sell you the fish you catch. To check whether or not the sale of fish is authorized, contact the Ministère de l’Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation du Québec. This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Salmon rivers

Québec has 111 salmon rivers that are managed by a variety of different organizations. Special conditions apply to them, including daily quotas (catch or catchandrelease), fishing periods and authorized gear. These conditions may vary from one river to the next, and sometimes between sectors of the same river. For detailed information, please see the page on Salmon Fishing.

Sites reserved for fly fishing

On some salmon rivers or bodies of water, usually located in ZECS, only fly fishing is allowed. These areas are identified by signs posted at the information office or near the fishing site. In these locations, special rules apply to this particular type of fishing.


To fish in zones 17 and 22 to 24, you must comply with theAct respecting hunting and fishing rights in the James Bay and New Québec territories (CQLR, chapter D-13.1) This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Land in this vast territory is subdivided into three categories, and the rules may vary according to the site or species fished. Category III lands are public areas located north of the 55th parallel. To fish on category I or category II lands, you must first obtain authorization from the Cree, Inuit or Naskapi authorities concerned, and must abide by their conditions.

In all the zones in Nord-du-Québec, you may only fish with a line or a rod equipped with a line. Fishing with bows, crossbows or harpoons is prohibited.

You must use the services of an active outfitter (PDF 1.79 Mb) (French only) to fish for:

  • lake trout in zone 23, from September 8 to September 30;
  • salmon in zones 23 and 24 (we recommend that you use the Angler’s Logbook to register with an outfitter).

Please note that some fish species are reserved for exclusive use of the Aboriginal people in zones 22 to 24:

  • Sucker
  • Non-anadromous whitefish
  • Sturgeon
  • Mooneye
  • Goldeye
  • Burbot

For additional information on this area, please contact the local or regional Nord-du-Québec wildlife protection office.

Regulatory Information