This program gives people access to a loaner scooter. This four-wheel motorized mobility aid compensates for a persistent and significant inability to walk.

Allocation of this technical aid is based on an overall assessment of the person’s needs and resources. In exceptional cases where a four-wheeled scooter does not meet the identified needs, a three-wheeled scooter may be offered where appropriate.

Presentation and Objectives

Scooters provide mobility independence for people who do not have the physical ability to walk medium and long distances, and for those with severe cardiovascular or respiratory disease. These devices promote social integration of users and make it easier for them to stay in their living environment.


To be eligible for this program, you must:

  • Live in Québec;
  • Be in one of the following two situations:
    • Have a motor impairment, which results in persistent and significant inability to walk over a distance of less than 30 metres and have significant difficulty using a manual wheelchair over a distance of less than 150 metres,
    • Have a severe inability to walk a distance of about 30 metres due to a severe respiratory or cardiovascular impairment;
  • Live at home or in a family-type residential setting;
  • Have a safe, accessible place to store the device.

You are not eligible if you:

  • Already benefit from the same type of assistance provided by another national or federal program or a program offered by private insurers;
  • Have another government-provided mobility aid, such as a wheelchair, scooter, or service dog that only functions as a walking aid;
  • Live in a public residential centre, including intermediate residences or a private centre.

Reimbursable Expenses

There are no fees or deductibles to pay. For those who have private insurance coverage or are on social assistance, this program can be used to pay the uncovered portion of the costs.

All equipment allocated must be insured by the user. It must be returned when the person is no longer using it or if he or she dies.


To enrol in this program, contact your Integrated Health and Social Services Centre (CISSS) or your Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre (CIUSSS). For contact information, consult the following page: Finding Your Integrated Health and Social Services Centre (CISSS) or Your Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre This hyperlink will open in a new window..

You will need to provide a medical certificate relating to the physical impairment or severe cardiorespiratory impairment.

Help and Information