Technical Walking Aid Program


Through this program, you can obtain a loaner walker. Walkers consist of a light metal frame, four wheels, handles connected to a braking system, a seat with backrest, a basket, and a folding mechanism.

Presentation and objectives

Walkers make it easier to travel over short and medium distances. This program consists of providing walkers to people with reduced mobility to promote their social integration and make it easier for them to stay in their living environment.

Allocation of these technical aids is based on an overall assessment of the person’s needs and resources.


To be eligible for this program, you must:

  • Live in Québec;
  • Have a physical impairment that prevents you from walking distances or a severe; respiratory or cardiovascular impairment;
  • Be of the age of majority;
  • Have sufficient use of your upper limbs to use the brakes safely;
  • Be able to use a walker on your own.

You are not eligible if you:

  • Already benefit from the same type of assistance provided by another national or federal program or a program offered by private insurers;
  • Have severe balance issues;
  • Have another government-provided mobility aid, such as a wheelchair, scooter, or service dog that only functions as a walking aid;
  • Live in a residential long-term care centre or a public intermediate resource.

Reimbursable expenses

There are no fees or deductibles to pay. For those who have private insurance coverage or are on social assistance, this program can be used to pay the uncovered portion of the costs.

All equipment allocated must be insured by the user. It must be returned when the person is no longer using it or if he or she dies.


To enrol in this program, contact your Integrated Health and Social Services Centre (CISSS) or your Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre (CIUSSS). For contact information, consult the following page: Finding Your Integrated Health and Social Services Centre (CISSS) or Your Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre This hyperlink will open in a new window..

You will need to provide a medical certificate relating to the physical impairment or severe cardiorespiratory impairment.

Help and information

Last update: May 9, 2023


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec