1. Home  
  2. Housing and Territory  
  3. Lease and purchase public land  
  4. Obtain a lot  
  5. Acquiring an existing lease

Acquiring an existing lease on public land

One of the easiest ways of obtaining a vacation lot on public land is to acquire an existing leas from a lessee who wishes to transfer it.

Lease transfer costs and conditions

To acquire or transfer a vacation lease on public land, you must first apply for a lease transfer. Certain restrictions may apply to transfers.

If the lease is managed by a delegate RCM, you must send your application directly to it. Please see the list of delegate RCMs for information on where to send your application

Things to know before the transaction

Before acquiring a lease, consider the following terms:

  • All rent owing must be paid in full before the lease is transferred.

  • The unused portion of the annual rent is not refundable. The lessee transferring the lease must agree with the new lessee on financial compensation for the months of rent already paid.

  • The two parties are responsible for the transaction in respect of the buildings and improvements on the leased lot. Proof of the sale transaction is only required in certain exceptional cases.

How to apply

To acquire an existing lease, you must:

Once the lease has been transferred, a new annual lease is agreed upon with the new lessee, and the rent is reviewed in compliance with current regulations.

Submit your form

  • Address

    Centre de services du territoire public
    Ministère des Ressources naturelles et des Forêts
    5700, 4e Avenue Ouest, bureau E-318
    Québec (Québec) G1H 6R1

  • Emails

Processing your application

Processing is done in the order of receipt of the applications. We will contact you in writing in one of the following situations:

  • Your file is complete and is under consideration.
  • Your file is incomplete. In this case, your application will be suspended until the missing documents and information are received.
  • Your application is deemed inadmissible.

Processing times may vary, depending on the nature and complexity of your application.

Once your application has been examined, you will receive a notice of acceptance or refusal. If your application is accepted, the notice will be accompanied by administrative and contractual documents (e.g. lease for signature).

Restrictions on lease transfers

A lease cannot be transferred if the lessee who wishes to transfer it has received a written notice of non-compliance (e.g. non-payment of the rent, non-compliance with usage requirements, failure to respect the boundaries of the lot, failure to respect the single dwelling restriction, etc.). The lessee must first take the remedial steps required by the gouvernement du Québec before proceeding with the transfer.

If you are leasing or wish to lease a vacation lot allocated by means of a random draw, you cannot transfer the lease in the five years following the date of the first lease, except in the following cases:

  • A building worth at least $10,000 has been constructed on the lot.
  • A building on the leased lot has been sold by order of a court, sold to pay taxes, or sold to exercise a right of foreclosure.
  • The lease is transferred to the spouse, father, mother, brother, sister or child of the lessee.
  • The lease is transferred following the lessee’s death (see what to do if the lessee dies).

The lessee must show that he or she meets one of the above conditions. The supporting documents that may be requested include:

  • Valuation roll
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Death certificate
  • Sworn declaration
  • Will
  • Contract of sale
  • Declaration of transfer of immovable property

Available leases

All leases on public land are entered in the Register of the Domain of the State This hyperlink will open in a new window. (in French only). You may consult the interactive map free of charge to see the leases that have been issued in a specific area.


Finding a new lessee

If you already are a lessee and wish to transfer your lease, you are responsible for finding a new lessee. There is no government website on which to post lease transfer advertisements, and no list of people wishing to transfer their leases.

Receive information on public land

Last update: April 2, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec