1. Home  
  2. Immigration  
  3. Refugees and asylum seekers  
  4. Refugees abroad  
  5. Bringing your partner and children who are still abroad to Québec

Bringing your partner and children who are still abroad to Québec

The program One-year period prescribed by the Government of Canada allows you to bring your family members to Québec who were unable to accompany you.

Under the program, you may bring:

  • your partner (husband, wife or spouse);
  • your dependent child or children.


To submit an application, you must:

  • have arrived in Canada at least one year ago;
  • have been admitted to Canada as a refugee while abroad (sponsored or government-assisted) or as a person in the host country;
  • have already indicated the name of the person you wish to bring in the Application for permanent residence in Canada (form IMM 0008).

If you are a sponsored refugee, ensure with your guarantor that the family member you wish to bring to Québec was already included in the same undertaking application as you.

If you or your family members do not comply with the conditions of the program indicated above, you may consider sponsorship in the Family Class.

Submitting an application

1. Complete the form

You must complete and sign the following form:

Demande pour faire venir au Québec les membres de la famille restés à l’étranger (Programme Délai prescrit d’un an pour personnes réfugiées ou à protéger) (PDF 1.07 Mb) (French only - Application to bring family members who are still abroad to Québec (one-year window of opportunity provisions for refugees or protected persons).

2. Attach proof of permanent residence

You must attach to your application:

  • a two-sided photocopy of the permanent resident card; or
  • a one-sided photocopy of the confirmation of permanent residence.

3. Send the application and the required documents by mail

The application, accompanied by all the required documents, must be sent by mail to the following address:

  • Address

    Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration
    Direction de l’immigration familiale et humanitaire
    285, rue Notre-Dame Ouest, 4e étage
    Montréal (Québec) H2Y 1T8

General notice

If you change address, you must inform the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration. You may send the new address in writing to the above postal address, specifying your file number.

You may also communicate with the Ministère’s Centre de contacts clientèle (Information service) This hyperlink will open in a new window..

After submitting the application

After your application is submitted, the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration will send you an acknowledgment of receipt. This will indicate your file number.

It then will forward the application to the Canadian visa office responsible for processing applications for the territory where your family members are located. It will contact your family members to review their application. 

If the Canadian visa office considers your family members are eligible for the program, they will obtain their permanent residence visa before their departure. A Certificat de sélection du Québec (Québec Selection Certificate) will be given to them upon their arrival in Québec.

Contact the ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration

Last update: August 8, 2023


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec