Quickly exit

Overview of measures to protect a victim’s security

Warning notice

To obtain emergency assistance following a crime

Call 911.

In a situation that is not an emergency, but where you want to report a crime to the police, contact the police department serving your municipality.

You can receive help from a crime victims assistance centre (CAVAC) This hyperlink will open in a new window., even if you decide not to report the crime to the police.

A person accused of a crime may have to comply with certain conditions during the judicial process, including a no-contact order prohibiting contact with the victim.

Other measures may be applied to protect your security as the victim. The police, or the judge, may prohibit the accused from

  • being in the same place as you;
  • being in your home, school or workplace;
  • harassing you;
  • referring to you on social media.

If you have been subjected to domestic violence, and your security or the security of your family members is under threat, you can ask for a section 810 peace bond (protection order) This hyperlink will open in a new window. to be imposed on the person concerned.

You can also terminate your residential lease This hyperlink will open in a new window.  if your security or the security of a child living with you is under threat because of the domestic violence or sexual assault to which you have been subjected.

Last update: January 10, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec