Children have special vulnerability to the adverse effects of pesticides, due to their physiology and behaviour. One example: They tend to put things in their mouths. For this reason, additional precautions are needed when treating daycares and elementary and secondary schools with pesticides.
If pesticides are to be used, the following is required first:
The pest has been identified;
Preventive measures have been implemented.
Two options are available once the decision has been taken on the use of pesticides:
Only selected, less dangerous pesticides are authorized for use inside of or nearby daycares and schools. Other pesticides may be authorized for specific problems, but only when applied by a pest management or green space maintenance company: Specific conditions apply.
Wait at least 12 or 24 hours before allowing activities to resume in treated locations, depending on the pesticide applied and the establishment concerned;
Fully comply with the instructions on the pesticide label.
If the application of the product does not resolve the problem, call a pesticide specialist. In the case of specific problems, pest management and green space maintenance companies may be able to apply other pesticides, subject to conditions.
Exposure to pesticides
If you have been exposed to pesticides and do not feel well, call the Poison Control Centre (in French only) immediately at 1 800 463-5060 and follow instructions. If you are seriously ill, go to the emergency room of a hospital and bring the pesticide container label information with you or note the name and registration number of the product to show the triage nurse.