Period of study in Québec
Applying for temporary selection for studies
To obtain a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies, you must submit an application for temporary selection for studies online.
Submitting your application
Here are the steps to follow to submit your application for temporary selection for studies.
1. Prepare your application
You must have access to a computer and an email address.
Ensure you have on hand:
- Your passport;
- The letter of admission from your educational institution in Québec, indicating its contact information and information on your program of study in Québec;
- Amount of tuition fees;
- A valid credit card (bank card) such as Visa, Mastercard or American Express. The card can be in your name, in your parents’ name, or in the name of another person who agrees to pay the fees for your application.
If applicable, also have on hand:
- Your most recent Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies;
- Complete contact information of the person that will be responsible for the expenses related to your period of study in Québec;
- Full contact information for your authorized representative.
2. Complete an online temporary selection application for studies
You must complete the application in full because you cannot save it to complete later.
When you submit your application:
- You can create your consultation profile and agree to receive an email each time new information is added to your file;
- You must pay the fees required to process your application. You will receive an electronic receipt at the end of the transaction;
- You will receive a file number in the section Access my file 48 hours after submitting your application. You need this number to submit the required documents for your application.
3. Prepare your documents
After submitting your application, you will receive a personalized checklist of documents to submit. Documents vary depending on your country of residence or origin.
You can also consult the Documents to submit for your application page.
To prepare the documents, scan them and save them in PDF format.
If a document has multiple pages, scan them together into one document.
Make sure all documents are:
4. Submit the required documents on the Arrima platform
Create an account in Arrima. Make sure you use the same first and last names that are found in:
- Your passport;
- Your online temporary selection application for studies.
If you already have an Arrima account, log into it.
Follow the instructions in the platform to submit your documents.
You must also use the Arrima platform to send your proof of financial capacity if you live in one of the following countries:
- United States
- Hong Kong
- Reunion Island
If you live in any other country, you must present your proof of financial capacity to the Canadian visa office, which will process your study permit application.
The federal authorities will assess your financial capacity according to the criteria of the Gouvernement du Québec before issuing you the study permit.
After sending your documents, you will receive a confirmation message in your Arrima message centre.
If necessary, consult the tutorial designed to facilitate your experience in Arrima and help you submit your documents.
Keep the original or certified true copy of the documents you submit. They may be required when reviewing your application.
Paying the fees required to process your application
These are the fees required to process your application for temporary selection for studies from January 1, 2022. The fees are adjusted on January 1 of each year.
Foreign student: $120
Fees must be paid:
- In full;
- In Canadian dollars;
- By you or another person.
These fees are not refundable even if the application is rejected. You cannot deduct them from the fees charged by the Government of Canada.
Other fees for the study permit application are required by the Government of Canada.
You must pay by credit card when you submit your application for temporary selection for studies.
If the transaction is declined, we will not contact you to notify you.
If your application is complete, it will be processed within 20 working days.
The processing time begins when the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration du Québec (MIFI) receives:
- Your application for temporary selection for studies;
- The payment of the fees required to process your application;
- Required documents for your application.
You should not contact us to:
- Confirm that your documents have been received;
- Get priority treatment.
Consulting your online file
After completing and paying your online application, you can Access your file to:
- Know the progress of your application;
- Consult communications sent by the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI);
- Update certain personal data;
- Modify your password.
You must identify yourself with the username and password you chose when you created your profile.
The decision concerning your application for temporary selection for studies will be sent to you by mail.
You will also receive a confirmation letter from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration in your online file.
If your application is accepted, you will receive two copies of your Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies at the correspondence address indicated in your application.
If your application is denied and you have good reason to believe that it should not have been, you have the option of submitting a request for administrative review , under certain conditions.
Submitting your application through a representative
You may not be represented to transmit the documents related to your application for temporary selection for studies in Arrima. You are the person who must take this action.
To complete your online application for temporary selection for studies, it is not necessary to retain the paid services of an individual to take steps on your behalf. No priority or special treatment will be granted to you if you use the services of an immigration professional.
If you still decide to be represented, see the Retaining the paid services of an individual page.
Last update: August 29, 2022