The QHR and its advantages
The Québec Health Record (QHR) is a secure provincial tool that is used to collect, conserve and release information about your health. The aim is to improve the quality of care and efficiency of Québec’s health system.
Thanks to the QHR, physicians and other authorized health and social services professionals in Québec who are responsible for your care can provide you with better treatment and more efficient follow-up. For example, the QHR allows:
- Professionals to access certain health information directly, no matter what region in Québec you consult in
- Medical attention to be provided more quickly, especially in an emergency situation, since it takes less time to find certain health information
- Better management of your samplings and examinations, and even means that you will not have to have the same examination taken or sampling collected several times if you have to see more than one health and social services professional
- Optimal adjustment of your medication, through sharing of your medication history and results which, in particular, helps prevent adverse interactions between the medications prescribed for you
- More efficient interprofessional collaboration, since information can be obtained about the health and social services professionals who are responsible for your care and the facilities where you consult
What the QHR is not
Every facility where you consult a health and social services professional keeps a local record. It contains all the information produced and used by the professional and his team. This information is confidential and may only be used by the professional and his team. It cannot be provided to anyone else without your express consent, except where provided for by law.
The local record may be partly or wholly electronic. If it is electronic, its name indicates where it is held:
- An electronic medical record (EMR) is used in primary care, for example in a private physician’s office, a family medicine group (FMG) or a family medicine unit (FMU)
- An electronic clinical record (ECR) is used in health and social services institutions
The QHR must also be distinguished from the patient portal, the Québec Health Booklet , which allows you, for example, to access some of your information in the QHR and various services so that you can be actively involved in your care.
Last update: January 28, 2019