1. Home  
  2. Immigration  
  3. Immigrate permanently to Québec  
  4. Sponsor a family member  
  5. Sponsoring an orphaned minor  
  6. Checking your eligibility to sponsor an orphaned minor

Checking your eligibility to sponsor an orphaned minor

If you wish to sponsor an orphaned minor who is your brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild, you must meet the following conditions.

Confirmation from the Government of Canada of your eligibility as a guarantor

You must have submitted a sponsorship application in advance to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) This hyperlink will open in a new window.. You must then have received a letter from IRCC that:

  • Was sent to you, not to the person you want to sponsor;
  • Indicates that you are eligible for the sponsorship;
  • Invites you to continue the steps you are taking with the Gouvernement du Québec.

Note that, at this stage, IRCC has, in general, recognized your eligibility as a sponsor, but has not yet verified:

  • The family relationship between you and the person you want to sponsor;
  • The other requirements that the person you want to sponsor must comply with to obtain permanent residence.

Conditions that the person you sponsor must comply with

You must check whether you and the person you want to sponsor complies with the conditions of the family reunification category.

Citizenship or permanent residence

You must have Canadian citizenship or permanent residence.

Place of residence

You must live in Québec. If you are a Canadian citizen, you may reside abroad at the time of application, but you must undertake to reside in Québec when your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner becomes a permanent resident.


You must be at least 18 years of age.

Demonstrating your financial capacity

You must demonstrate that you have sufficient financial resources to meet the needs of the person you sponsor and that person’s family members.

Financial obligations

If you have already made a sponsorship undertaking or undertakings, you must demonstrate that:

  • You have honoured your financial obligations;
  • If applicable, you have repaid to the Gouvernement du Québec or another province any sum that was disbursed to this person as last resort financial assistance (social assistance).  

Last resort financial assistance (social assistance)

You must not have received last resort financial assistance, except if this assistance is given to you due to your age or disability, which creates barriers to your employment that are severe, permanent or for an indefinite term.


If you must pay support after an official judgment, you must have honoured your obligations over the past five years. Otherwise, you must have repaid any amount owed.

Offence against the person

You must not have been convicted, in Canada or abroad, of murder or an offence provided for in Schedule I or II of the Corrections and Conditional Release Act This hyperlink will open in a new window., particularly:

  • A sexual offence;
  • An attempt or threat to commit a sexual offence;
  • An offence causing bodily harm;
  • An attempt or threat of offence causing bodily harm.

If you have been convicted of any of these offences, you must have been acquitted as a last resort or rehabilitated or have finished serving your sentence at least five years before submitting your application.

Removal or detention measure

You must not be the object of a Government of Canada deportation measure or be detained in a penitentiary or a prison.

Psychosocial assessment

After analyzing your application and establishing that you have sufficient financial resources, the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (Ministry) will ask you to undergo a psychosocial assessment. The assessment will make it possible to demonstrate that you are able to take care of the minor child you want to sponsor.

With your consent, the Ministry will send a request to the youth centre in your region for you to undergo the assessment.


Contact the ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration

Last update: April 18, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec