You are entitled to certain services from the Gouvernement du Québec upon your arrival if you have submitted an asylum application with the Government of Canada which has been determined to be eligible and you live in Québec.
The federal government is responsible for the asylum application process. Go to the page Irregular border crossings and asylum in Canada for all details.
Services available during the review of your application
While waiting for the Government of Canada's decision concerning your asylum application, you are entitled to services from the Gouvernement du Québec, such as:
- temporary shelter
- assistance in finding permanent housing
- free information sessions on life in Québec.
- last resort financial assistance
- preschool education and elementary and secondary school education
- non-subsidized childcare services and community drop-in childcare activities
- universal employment services
- French courses (without financial assistance)
- legal aid
- social services under the Regional Program for the Settlement and Integration of Asylum Seekers (PRAIDA) of Centre intégré universitaire de santé et de services sociaux (CIUSSS) West-Central Montréal, which has two components:
- a psychosocial component: social work services
- a health component: preventive and front-line healthcare
For more information on the services offered to you and how you can access them, see the Guide for asylum seekers in Québec wishing to obtain Québec government services (PDF 196 Kb).
You can attend a free information session to:
- know the services offered to you
- receive practical advice
- better understand life in Québec
The sessions are given:
- in French
- in English
- in Spanish
For more information, contact one of the following organizations:
Community organizations have been designated to assist you in finding housing as quickly as possible. You can contact them in complete confidence.
Organizations located in Montréal
Organizations located outside of Montréal
To obtain the names of other organizations that can assist you outside of Montréal, contact Centre de contacts clientèle du ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration .
For more information on looking for permanent housing, please consult this Checklist (PDF 65 Kb).
Last update: May 2, 2022