Paying a fine

Warning notice

The ministère de la Justice du Québec warns the population against phishing attempts

Scammers are sending text messages inviting recipients to pay a fine by clicking on a link that looks like a government address. We never send text messages to claim payment for a fine.

Do not click on the link and delete the fraudulent message.

Fines can be imposed by a statement of offence (photo radar, cell phone while driving, speeding on highways or numbered roads, etc.) or a court judgment (court file). 

If you receive a fine, you can pay it or plead guilty or not guilty.

You must pay fines imposed by a judgment (court file).


A plea is your response (guilty or not guilty) to the charge against you. You have thirty (30) days after the date you received your statement of offence to submit your plea.

Save time! Do it online!

Submit your plea

There are other ways to submit your plea. For more information, see your statement of offence or other correspondence.

If you don’t submit a plea within the specified time, a judgment by default may be rendered against you.

Guilty plea

You acknowledge being guilty of the offence charged if:

  • you pay the total amount of the fine (including costs) without pleading guilty; or
  • you plead guilty, but do not pay the fine.

In other words, you are deemed to have entered a guilty plea.

Not guilty plea

You can contest the charge by entering a plea of not guilty.

A trial will be held in the judicial district This hyperlink will open in a new window. where the offence took place. You will receive a hearing notice indicating where and when you must appear.

Notice of judgment

A notice of judgment indicates that you have been found guilty.

It specifies:

  • the amount you have to pay;
  • the costs (costs are added to the original amount indicated on the statement);
  • the time allowed for payment.

You must pay the amount due or make a payment arrangement to avoid additional costs.

Paying a fine

You must pay the fine, legal costs and contribution if you are convicted of an offence.

If you fail to pay, penalties and collection measures will apply.


The contribution is an amount that goes to the Crime Victims Assistance Fund and the Access to Justice Fund. It is mandatory. The fine varies according to the offence and the circumstances. The legal costs are those stated in the Tariff of court costs in penal matters This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Payment methods

To protect the confidentiality of your personal information, payment by email, text (SMS) or fax is not accepted. Do not send any payment information through these channels.


Pay by credit card on the Ministère de la Justice website (Bureau des infractions et amendes).

Pay online

You can also pay on the website of one of these participating financial institutions:

  • Desjardins (AccèsD)
  • Laurentian Bank (LBCDirect)
  • National Bank (TelNat)

To pay a fine imposed by a statement of offence:

  • select the provider Justice Qc-Constat-Infraction (QC)
  • enter your statement of offence number (16 digits).

To pay a fine imposed by a court judgment:

  • select the provider Justice Qc-Dossier de cour (QC)
  • enter your court file number (17 digits).

By telephone

Pay by credit card by calling the Bureau des infractions et amendes This hyperlink will open in a new window..

At a Québec courthouse

Go to the financial services counter at a Québec courthouse This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Pay by cheque, money order, debit or credit card, or cash.

Cheque or money order

  1. Fill out the reply coupon.
  2. Write your statement of offence number or court file number on your cheque or money order.
  3. Make your cheque or money order payable to the Minister of Finance.
  4. Mail the reply coupon and your cheque or money order to:

    There is no service counter at this address.

    Bureau des infractions et amendes
    1200, route de l’Église, 6e étage
    Québec (Québec) G1V 4X1

Payment arrangement

You can request a payment arrangement or a payment deadline extension if you are unable to pay the entire amount in a single payment.

However, if you have not pleaded guilty or if there is no judgment against you, you will not be eligible for a payment arrangement.

Your file will be reviewed. A payment arrangement or extension may be granted if the circumstances warrant it. If the review shows that you are unable to pay, you can work off what you owe if compensatory work programs are available.

Contact the Bureau des infractions et amendes This hyperlink will open in a new window. for more information.

If you fail to pay

The following penalties and collection measures may apply, as appropriate, if you fail to pay:

  • legal costs, as stated in the Tariff of court costs in penal matters This hyperlink will open in a new window., could be added to the amount claimed
  • your driver’s licence could be suspended
    • vehicles registered in your name could be prohibited from operation
    • your right to conduct transactions involving these vehicles could be severely restricted
  • your income or assets (vehicles, movable property, bank accounts) could be seized
  • you could be sentenced to prison.

Only by paying the full amount claimed can you end any proceedings against you and have your file closed.

Reinstating a driver’s licence suspended for unpaid fines

Contact the SAAQ This hyperlink will open in a new window. to get back a driver’s licence that was suspended for unpaid fines.

Applying for a record suspension (pardon)

You must, among other things, have paid all amounts due in your file and completed the waiting period commencing on the date of your final payment. Contact the Parole Board of Canada for information about applying for a criminal record suspension (pardon).

Photo radar – Forms for identifying a driver other than the vehicle owner

If you are the owner of a vehicle but were not driving at the time of the offence, use one of the following forms to identify the driver:

Declaration form – owner identifying the driver

Declaration form – owner identifying the lessee

Lost statement of offence

Contact the Bureau des infractions et amendes This hyperlink will open in a new window. as soon as possible to avoid additional costs.

Change of address

You must correct your address if the wrong address appears on your statement or mail, or if you move. Fill out the Address change form or contact the Bureau des infractions et amendes.

Address change form

To contest a judgment

Contact the courthouse This hyperlink will open in a new window. that rendered the judgment against you. The staff there will explain how to contest it.

Last update: April 29, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec