Payment of court costs at the Small Claims Division

You must pay court costs for certain small claims procedures.

The Tariff of court costs This hyperlink will open in a new window. is specified in the legislation.

Recipients of last-resort financial assistance are exempt from having to pay court costs. If this applies to you, have your claim slip for the current month in hand or include a photocopy in your file.

Methods of payment


You can pay the court costs online when you submit the Small Claims Division form (SJ-870E) or Response form to an action at the Small Claims Division (SJ-871E).

In person at the courthouse

You can pay in person at the courthouse in cash, by debit or credit card or by certified cheque. Personal cheques are not accepted.

By mail

You must pay by certified cheque or money order made out to the Minister of Finance, referencing your file number.

Last update: April 24, 2023


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec