Québec - United States University Grant Program
Support for the development of courses on Québec
This category aims to encourage the creation or revamping of courses on Québec in American universities. The courses must focus on the themes targeted in components 1 or 2. They can include the organization of university activities such as visits, conferences, or seminars.
This category is for full-time professors who hold permanent positions or are on their way to becoming permanent and who are currently working in an accredited American university or college that offer four-year programs.
Terms and conditions
The grant from the Ministry of International Relations and la Francophonie (MRIF) may not exceed $6,000 USD for a single selected project. The grant from the Ministry of International Relations and la Francophonie (MRIF) may not exceed $6,000 USD for a single selected project.
MRIF’s financial commitment, subject to the prerogatives of the National Assembly with regard to the adoption of annual appropriations, covers a fiscal year beginning April 1 and ending March 31. MRIF will grant funding solely to the American partner in charge of the project.
Organizations whose projects have been selected will need to produce a financial report detailing the usage of the funds, a description of the funded project, noting the impact generated, as well as the plan for the course; this will constitute the final report.
The grant will be paid in two installments: first 50% of the total amount upon reception of the signed letter of agreement or grant agreement, and the remainder upon reception and acceptance of the final report.
Failure to provide the final report within 60 days of the end of the project may result in the cancellation of the second installment. Any extension of the deadline must be agreed upon beforehand with the Québec office concerned.
Applications must clearly fall into one of the categories of the two components and touch on one or more of the themes of the component in question.
For all projects in this category, the partner must sign a letter of agreement and return it to the Québec office in their territory, which will then send the first installment.
Eligible and ineligible expenses
- Round-trip airfare (economy class) between Québec and the United States for the professor
- Transportation costs (to and from the airport) in the United States and Québec
- The purchase of specialized Québec books or teaching materials (e.g., films)
- Costs related to the preparation of the course, e.g., admission for exhibits, conferences, and events
- Expenses related to the regular financing of an institution or the remuneration of its staff
- Expenses that have already received support from another government program for the same expenses
- First class airfare and excess baggage fees
- Travel expenses and daily subsistence allowances for stays outside the American territory where the project takes place
- General overhead or administrative costs
The main project evaluation criteria:
- The relevance of the project with regard to the objectives, target sectors and expected benefits
- Links with Québec’s International Policy
- The researcher’s interest in Québec and their university career
- The quality of the theoretic approach and the pursued objectives
- The justification for the grant application and the rigor of the proposed budget
- The feasibility of the timeline and the work program
- The contribution of the partner(s) and the complementarity of their expertise with regard to that of the applicant
- The expected visibility, the promotion of the project and the results and the enhancement of Québec’s image in the United States and abroad
The funding requested may not exceed $6,000 USD and must make up no more than 50% of the total budget of the project.
About the form
Please save the form on your computer before filling it with Adobe Reader (version 8.0 or higher). Do not fill out the form in a web browser. Do not modify the PDF form.
The application must include:
- The grant application form (PDF 1.08 Mb)
- A letter of support from the applicant’s home university
- The CV of the American(s) in charge of the project
- Any other relevant documents
To apply or for further details concerning the Québec government’s Québec studies programs in the United States, contact the Québec Government Office serving your state.
Last update: March 3, 2023