Québec - United States University Grant Program
Grants for professors and researchers
This category aims to encourage university research on Québec at American universities, relating to the themes targeted in components 1 or 2. The grant will serve to cover the costs related to the drafting of an article-length manuscript publishable in a university journal, or the drafting of a chapter of a book slated to be published.
The main goal of the research will be to promote a better understanding of Québec and/or its relations with the United States.
This category is for full-time professors who hold permanent positions or are on their way to becoming permanent and who are currently working in an accredited American university or college that offer four-year programs, as well as for recent PhD graduates who are either American citizens or are permanent residents of the United States.
Terms and conditions
The grant from the Ministry of International Relations and la Francophonie (MRIF) may not exceed $6,000 USD for a professor, or $10,000 USD for the research group director.
MRIF’s financial commitment, subject to the prerogatives of the National Assembly with regard to the adoption of annual appropriations, covers a fiscal year beginning April 1 and ending March 31. MRIF will grant funding solely to the American partner in charge of the project.
Organizations whose projects have been selected will need to produce a financial report detailing the usage of the funds, a description of the funded project, noting the impact generated, as well as either two copies of the article-length manuscript that is publication-ready or a chapter of a book slated to be published. These documents shall constitute the final project report. The copyright for the manuscript shall remain the exclusive property of the researcher.
Research on highly specialized subjects—applied sciences, health sciences, methodology—is not eligible unless it involves multidisciplinary projects (humanities, social sciences, or applied sciences).
The grant will be paid in two installments: 50% of the total amount upon reception of the signed letter of agreement or grant agreement, and the remainder upon reception and acceptance of the final report.
Failure to provide the final report within 60 days of the end of the project may result in the cancellation of the second installment. Any extension of the deadline must be agreed upon beforehand with the Québec office concerned with the project.
Applications must clearly fall into one of the categories of the two components and touch on one or more of the themes of the component in question. For projects of an amount equal to CAD $10,000, a grant agreement must be signed between the parties. For all other projects, the partner must sign a letter of agreement and return it to the Québec office in their territory, who will then send the first installment.
Eligible and ineligible expenses
- Round-trip airfare (economy class) between Québec and the United States to conduct the research
- Transportation costs (to and from the airport) in the United States
- Daily subsistence allowances for each person on the mission, as per Québec government standards in effect
- The salary of a research assistant
- The purchase of specialized books
- The cost of publishing or distribution the results of the project, requiring prior justification and approval
- Expenses related to the regular financing of an institution or the remuneration of its staff
- Expenses that have already received support from another government program for the same expenses
- First class airfare and excess baggage fees
- Travel expenses and daily subsistence allowances for stays outside the American territory where the project takes place
- The acquisition of equipment
- Free time and general overhead or administrative costs
The main project evaluation criteria:
- The relevance of the project with regard to the objectives, targeted sectors, and expected benefits
- Links with Québec’s International Policy
- The innovative nature of the project
- The researcher’s interest in Québec and their university career
- The quality of the theoretic approach and the pursued objectives
- The justification for the grant application and the rigor of the proposed budget
- The feasibility of the timeline and the work program
- The contribution of the partner(s) and the complementarity of their expertise with regard to that of the applicant
- The expected visibility, the promotion of the project, as well as the results and the enhancement of Québec’s image in the United States and abroad
The funding requested may not exceed $6,000 USD for a faculty member and $10,000 USD for the director of a research group and must make up no more than 50% of the total budget of the project.
About the form
Please save the form on your computer before filling it with Adobe Reader (version 8.0 or higher). Do not fill out the form in a web browser. Do not modify the PDF form.
The application must include:
- The grant application form (PDF 1.08 Mb)
- A letter of support from the applicant’s home university
- The CV of the American(s) in charge of the project
- Any other relevant documents
To apply or for further details concerning the Québec government’s Québec studies programs in the United States, contact the Québec Government Office serving your state.
Last update: March 3, 2023