Couples without a contract

If you and your spouse have not signed a marriage contract or civil union contract, your property will be governed by the default legal regime in Québec, which is partnership of acquests.

However, if you married outside Québec, your property may be governed by another regime. If you were not living in Québec at the time of your marriage, your property will be governed by the rules in effect in the place where you married. This could be Ontario or France, for example, if:

  • you were living there at the time of your marriage;
  • you married with your spouse while living in different places.

In Québec, almost half of all couples do not sign a contract with a notary before their marriage or civil union ceremony.

Last update: April 6, 2023


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec