To learn about the mission of the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux (MSSS), go to the Mission and mandates page.
Services provided directly to the public
Some services are provided directly to the public by the MSSS. It is these services precisely, and not all the health care and social services, which are the subject of this Service Statement.
- General information about health and social services
- Requests and complaints regarding the Cannabis Regulation Act
- Information on the Tobacco Control Act and inspections regarding its enforcement
- Requests and complaints regarding the Act to prevent skin cancer caused by artificial tanning
- Requests and complaints regarding the Funeral Operations Act
- Requests concerning the management of funeral services business licences and embalmers’ licences
- Information, assistance and advice for individuals and families seeking to adopt a child living outside of Québec
- Requests for a socio-biological history for adoption cases outside of Québec
- Information about the Act to combat maltreatment of seniors and other persons of full age in vulnerable situations.
Our commitments regarding the quality of services
When you call us:
- You can reach us, everywhere in Québec, using toll-free telephone lines;
- We answer your call Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., except on statutory holidays
- We answer your call as soon as possible
When you write to us by mail, electronic mail or fax:
- We respond or send you an acknowledgement of receipt specifying the response time to your request within ten working days following reception In order to protect personal information, our email or fax responses may refer to a letter that will follow by mail.
In order to protect personal information, our email or fax responses may refer to a letter that will follow by mail.
When you consult the MSSS website:
- We ensure reasonable accommodation measures to enable persons with disabilities to have access to information and documents available on the MSSS website (Plan d'action à l'égard des personnes handicapées – document available in French only)
When you visit the offices of the MSSS:
- We take steps to identify and reduce every obstacle in an effort to facilitate the experience of people with motor, visual and auditory disabilities (Plan d'action à l'égard des personnes handicapées – document available in French only)
When you go to the Secrétariat à l'adoption internationale:
- Our offices are open Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- We immediately announce your arrival to the person with whom you have an appointment
- If you do not have an appointment, you will be directed to a staff member who will do his or her best to assist you
Courteous and respectful personnel
In all circumstances:
- Our personnel is polite and respectful
- Our personnel identify themselves clearly
- Our personnel is attentive and receptive to your needs
Professional processing of your request
Our personnel have the necessary skills and knowledge to assist you and provide you with the clearest and most accurate information on the subject that concerns you.
We will give you clear explanations of the processes to be followed to obtain a service or a document.
We will provide you with information or the requested service as soon as possible.
We will ensure that the processes that you follow and the information concerning you are kept confidential, in compliance with applicable laws.
Where necessary, we will refer you to a person or an agency that can better respond to your request.
If you are dissatisfied with the services referred to in this Statement
You may be dissatisfied with the services obtained despite all our efforts to honour the commitments made in this Statement. In this case, you may contact the MSSS’s complaint commissioner to inform him or her of your dissatisfaction. The complaint commissioner receives complaints and comments regarding the commitments contained in this Statement and examines them thoroughly and independently. Your complaint will remain strictly confidential.
You can communicate with the complaint commissioner whichever way is most convenient.
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Time limit of complaint processing
Your complaint will be processed within 20 business days or less from the day it was received. If we cannot send you a full and final answer within this time limit, we will inform you of the date on which it will be sent to you.
Complaints about services offered by the institutions, their facilities and some of their public or private partners
The MSSS’s complaint commissioner’s responsibilities do not include complaints about services offered by the institutions, their facilities and some of their public or private partners. Consult The Health and Social Services Network Complaint Examination System page to know how and to whom to address your complaint.
How to reach us
See the Contact Us page.
Last update: February 14, 2020