After obtaining your Certificat de sélection du Québec (Québec selection certificate)
When you obtain your Certificat de sélection du Québec (Québec selection certificate), you must continue your immigration procedures with the Government of Canada.
You must also take certain steps to promote your integration into Québec society.
Apply to the federal government for permanent resident status
After receiving your Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec selection certificate), you must submit an application for permanent residence (visa).
Renewing your work permit
If you already work in Québec and wish to continue working and living in Canada legally, you must have a valid work permit during your process of obtaining permanent residency from the Government of Canada.
If you have a Certificat de sélection du Québec (Québec selection certificate) and live in Québec:
- you could extend or renew your work permit and obtain a work permit linked to an employer without the employer having to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). In addition, you might not have to apply for temporary selection (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec/Québec Acceptance Certificate). To learn the conditions and steps for obtaining an LMIA-exempt work permit linked to an employer, go to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.
- you could also obtain a bridging open work permit (BOWP) if you have already filed your permanent residency application. To learn the conditions and steps for obtaining a BOWP, go to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.
Transitioning from temporary to permanent status
When you transition from temporary immigration status to permanent status, you must make changes to certain documents.
Social insurance number (SIN)
You must obtain a permanent social insurance number when you obtain permanent resident status. For the steps to take, consult the page Social Insurance Number from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Health insurance card
You must file a new application for a health insurance card with the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) by presenting the documents relating to your new status.
The health insurance plan may not cover your medical care for a period of three months. If this is your situation and you do not benefit from the group insurance of your educational institution or your employer, you are strongly advised to obtain private insurance for this period.
You have to obtain a Québec driver's licence to be allowed to drive.
You may have obtained authorization to drive in Québec using the driver's licence from your country of origin. You will be able to continue using your foreign driver's licence in Québec for a maximum of 6 months after the date on which you obtain your permanent status.
Integration steps in Québec
To promote your integration as soon as you obtain your Certificat de sélection du Québec (Québec selection certificate), you can:
- Register for Accompagnement Québec on Integration service for immigrants.
- Consult the guide Settle and integrate in Québec.
- Improve your French by following online French courses offered by the Government of Québec.
- Start the steps to Obtaining recognition of your competencies acquired abroad .
The information published on this website has been simplified and provides a summary of the main legal and regulatory provisions. It does not replace in any way the official texts of laws and regulations. For more detailed information about a particular rule, refer to the Québec Immigration Act (chapter I-0.2.1), to the Québec Immigration Regulation (chapter I-0.2.1, r. 3) or to the Immigration and Protection of Refugees Regulations (SOR/2002-227) .