1. Home  
  2. Immigration  
  3. Settle and integrate in Québec

Settle and integrate in Québec

This guide is intended for immigrants selected by Québec. It brings together information and advice to ease your settlement and successfully integrate into Québec.

An integration assistance agent can assist you in your integration efforts even before your arrival in Québec. For more information, consult the Accompagnement Québec page.

About Québec

Sharing Québec’s key values

To facilitate your integration into Québec society, it is important for you to appropriate and abide by Québec’s key values.

They revolve around five main thrusts, which make Québec a distinct society: 

  • Québec is a French-speaking society. 
  • Québec is a democratic society. 
  • Equality between women and men. 
  • The rights and responsibilities of Quebecers. 
  • Québec is a secular society.

Discovering Québec’s seasons This hyperlink will open in a new window.

The climate in Québec changes with the seasons and varies by region.

Winter in Québec should not be underestimated. For this season, consider:

Keep the temperature of your home at a minimum of 20 °C during the day and 17 °C at night. Inside, homes are equipped with heating systems that provide comfort during the cold season.

Get clothes to keep you warm:

  • Insulated coat
  • Tuque (hat)
  • Gloves or mittens
  • Scarf
  • Insulated and waterproof boots

With the right clothes, you can enjoy a variety of outdoor sports, regardless of the season. Seasonal activities are an opportunity to come together and meet other people. Consider signing up for outdoor sports to take advantage of the seasons and make a circle of friends.

Learning about the cost of living in Québec This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Before immigrating to Québec, it is important to learn about the cost of living.

In Québec, the average per capita income is comparable to that of most industrialized countries. However, the cost of living is lower.

Of course, your perception of the cost of living may vary depending on:

  • Your country of origin
  • Your savings
  • Your consumption habits

Choosing a region of Québec to settle in

Do you want to discover what the regions of Québec have to offer? There are 17 regions in Québec that offer several opportunities.

Learn about the regions before you arrive in Québec to determine which region matches your interests and your life plan.

By registering for the Accompagnement Québec integration service, an integration assistance agent (IAA) can assist you in discovering the regions of Québec while presenting you with job opportunities.

There are many differences between regions, including:

  • Job opportunities
  • Fields of employment sought
  • Cost of living
  • Lifestyle
  • etc.

You can also attend information sessions about Québec This hyperlink will open in a new window. in French or call on partner organizations, such as Emploi en région This hyperlink will open in a new window., to learn about life and employment in the regions.

Developing a network of contacts

To meet new people when you arrive in Québec, you can:


Finding housing

You will need to quickly find housing when you arrive in Québec. It is recommended that you find temporary housing first. This will allow you to take the necessary time to assess your needs.

In the beginning, find housing:

  • Rented by the week or the month
  • That fits your budget
  • In a central district
  • Ideally furnished

To find housing, you can:

  • Consult online classifieds sites
  • Join Facebook housing search groups
  • Walk the streets and locate rental housing

By registering for the Accompagnement Québec integration service This hyperlink will open in a new window., an integration assistance agent (IAA) can assist you in your search for housing.

Community organizations assisting immigrants can also help you.

Renting accommodation This hyperlink will open in a new window.

When you rent accommodation, you must sign a lease with the landlord. A lease is a rental contract that indicates:

The lease must contain:

  • The name and address of the owner
  • Your name
  • The amount of the rent
  • The exact address of the housing you have rented
  • Other mandatory information prescribed by law

Before signing a lease, read it very carefully. Once you have signed it, you cannot undo it, barring exceptions. If you must vacate your home before the end of your lease, consult the Assignment of a Lease or Subleasing This hyperlink will open in a new window. page on the Tribunal administratif du logement website to find out what options are available to you depending on your situation.

Information to provide

The owner of the accommodation may ask you for private information, including:

  • Social insurance number (SIN)
  • Driver’s licence number
  • Health insurance card number

You are not obligated to give this information. You cannot be refused rental accommodation if you have not provided this information.

However, you may have to prove that you have the necessary income to pay the rent.

For this purpose, you can use:

  • Receipts from a previous rental
  • Paid utility bills

If you cannot provide these documents, you can present a letter of recommendation, for example from a community organization assisting immigrants.

Refusal to rent

A landlord cannot deny you the rental of housing on the basis of discrimination, such as:

  • Ethnic origin
  • Colour
  • Sex
  • Pregnancy or presence of children
  • Religion
  • Sexual orientation
  • Gender identity or expression
  • Social condition

If you believe you are the victim of discrimination, contact the Tribunal administratif du logement du Québec This hyperlink will open in a new window. or the Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse du Québec This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Buying a house or a condominium

Buying a house or a condominium (condo) requires careful attention.

You can sell or buy a property yourself, but the majority of transactions are done through a real estate broker.

When you have chosen the property you want to buy, you must make an offer to purchase. If the person selling the property agrees to your terms, you must follow through on your offer to purchase. The purchase ends with a deed of sale signed in front of a notary.

If you are buying a property directly from a building contractor or real estate developer, they must give you a preliminary contract containing:

  • Building information
  • Clause that allows you to change your mind within 10 days of signing your contract This termination may involve a penalty—which must be provided for in the contract—and must not exceed 0.5% of the sale price.

Buying a condominium

Jointly owned housing, called “condominiums” or “condos,” allow you to buy an apartment rather than a house.

The apartment you buy belongs to you, but you share the common areas of the building with the other owners, such as:

  • Land
  • Lobby
  • Elevators, stairs
  • Parking lots
  • etc.

The community of co-owners, called the “homeowner association,” manages the building and maintains the common areas.

To cover expenses for building maintenance and work in common areas, you must pay condo fees. The fees are billed to you monthly, based on the value of your condo in the building.

Health and emergency services

Obtaining your health insurance card number This hyperlink will open in a new window.

All residents of Québec are eligible for the Régime d’assurance maladie du Québec [Québec health insurance plan] (RAMQ). This covers essential medical care. To access this care, you must register and obtain a health insurance card when you arrive in Québec.

Each member of your family must have their own health insurance card. Always carry it with you and never lend it.

As a general rule, health insurance does not cover your medical care during the first three months following your arrival in Québec. During these three months, it is strongly recommended that you obtain private insurance.

Québec has signed social security agreements with other countries This hyperlink will open in a new window.. If you arrive from one of these countries, you could be covered by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) upon your arrival, without waiting three months. You must present proof of insurance or proof of affiliation to the health plan of your country of origin.

Finding a resource in health and social services This hyperlink will open in a new window.

If you or a loved one has a non-urgent health problem, you can turn to various resources in the health and social services network. These resources can tell you when and where to seek help, so that you can be taken care of as quickly as possible.

  • For advice or questions about a non-urgent physical health problem, call Info-Santé at 811 option 1;
  • For advice or questions about a non-urgent psychosocial problem, call Info-Social at 811 option 2;

You can call these numbers at any time, 24 hours a day.

To arrange a consultation with a health care professional for a non-urgent health problem:

To find a family doctor or group of doctors accepting new patients, you can register on the waiting list of the Guichet d'accès à un médecin de famille (Québec Family Doctor Finder).

Consult Québec.ca/en/health to find resources other than the emergency room.

Where to call in an emergency

Dial 911 if you need emergency services:

  • Police
  • Fire services (fire fighters)
  • Ambulance


Public transportation

Most cities in Québec offer public transportation by bus.

A metro (underground train) serves the territory of Montréal and connects the cities of Longueuil and Laval. Montréal and the surrounding cities are also connected by commuter train lines.

To learn about fares, schedules, routes and itineraries, contact the information service of your municipality’s public transportation company or consult their website.

Obtaining a driver’s licence This hyperlink will open in a new window.

When you arrive in Québec, you can drive with a licence that was issued in another country for six months following your arrival in Québec. After this period, you will no longer be able to drive with this licence and you will have to obtain a Québec driver’s licence.

There are agreements between Québec and certain countries to facilitate the exchange of driver’s licences. If the country in which you obtained your licence does not have an agreement with Québec, you may need to take driving lessons and pass theoretical and practical exams.

You must have a valid driver's licence to drive:

  • A car
  • A motorcycle
  • A scooter

Buying or leasing a car

 You can decide to lease This hyperlink will open in a new window. or buy a car This hyperlink will open in a new window. for your trips.

All vehicles must be registered with the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Road safety

Wearing a seat belt is compulsory for all passengers. Babies and young children must be seated in a booster seat, until they are 145 cm tall or until they are 9 years old.

In winter, it is important to adapt your driving, especially by reducing your speed. You must also change your vehicle’s tires for winter tires between December 1 and March 15.

In Québec, impaired driving is a criminal offence, whether under the influence of:

  • Alcohol
  • Drugs
  • Certain medications

Education and childcare

Enrolling your children in a childcare service This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Spaces in childcare services, also called day care centres, are available for young children, from birth to age 5. As demand is strong to obtain a place, it is recommended to register your child as soon as possible in the days following your arrival.

You can search for childcare services for your child using the La place 0-5 platform. This platform brings together all the childcare services recognized by the Gouvernement du Québec.

Subsidized and non-subsidized childcare

There are two types of childcare services in Québec:

  • Childcare services subsidized by the Gouvernement du Québec: They offer a reduced, fixed price per day of $8.35 in 2020.
  • Non-subsidized childcare services: the childcare service determines the price of its services. If you enrol your child in a non-subsidized childcare service, you may, however, be entitled to a tax credit. This allows you to recover up to 75% of the amount you paid for childcare.

Enrolling your children in school This hyperlink will open in a new window.

In Québec, you can enrol your child in kindergarten from the age of 4.

School is then mandatory at the age of 6 and until the age of 16.


Kindergarten prepares your child for elementary school.

The kindergarten is not mandatory. However, the majority of eligible children are enrolled.

Elementary school education

All 6-year-olds must be enrolled in elementary school, even if they have not completed kindergarten.

If your child is 5 years old, they may be admitted provided they are 6 years old before October 1 of their first school year. Elementary school education lasts six years.

Secondary education

General education

After elementary school, you will need to enrol your child for secondary school. General secondary education lasts five years and allows your child to pursue post-secondary studies.

Vocational training

There is also another path in secondary education: vocational training. This training lasts one to two years depending on the program.

It allows you to qualify for a specialized trade. It is generally possible to register for vocational training before the end of general secondary education, but admission requirements are not the same for all study programs.

Pursuing studies This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Would you like to study in Québec? Different courses are offered at different levels.

Check with educational institutions to find out the admission requirements for study programs and registration procedures.

If you are a foreign student with a study permit, you must comply with the conditions of your permit. Studying must be your main activity and you must have health and hospitalization insurance for the duration of your stay in Québec.

Loans and bursaries

The Programme de prêts et bourses (Loans and Bursaries Program) is intended to help you if your financial resources are insufficient to pursue full-time studies.

To be eligible, you must have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident, refugee or protected person status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Loans for part-time studies

The Programme de prêts pour les études à temps partiel (Loans Program for Part-Time Studies) aims to support you financially if you wish to pursue studies part-time.

To be eligible, you must have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident, refugee or protected person status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Learning French

Registering for a French course This hyperlink will open in a new window.

If you are not fluent in French, the Gouvernement du Québec offers free French courses to immigrants.

Knowing French is essential to facilitate your integration and fully participate in Québec society. It allows you to make yourself understood in everyday situations, such as when you need to communicate with your children’s teachers or consult a pharmacist.

Financial assistance may also be available for:

  • Your participation in the courses
  • Your transportation
  • Childcare

By registering for the Accompagnement Québec integration service This hyperlink will open in a new window., an integration assistance agent (IAA) can assist you in registering for a French course.

Integration services

Airport greeting

When you arrive at Montréal-Trudeau International Airport and have immigration status, you are greeted by the personnel of the Reception Service of the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration. They will introduce you to Accompagnement Québec and give you all the information you need to register for this service.

Accompagnement Québec This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Accompagnement Québec a free and personalized service offered to immigrants.

Present in all regions of Québec, the integration assistance agents of the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) assess your needs and prepare an individualized action plan with you to ease your integration into Québec society.

They collaborate with partner organizations and departments to:

  • Prepare your arrival in Québec
  • Evaluate your needs;
  • Assess your needs once you arrive in Québec
  • Develop with you an individualized action plan to support you in your settlement and integration steps.

You can benefit from Accompagnement Québec as soon as you obtain your Québec Selection Certificate (CSQ) or your Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), or have a client number with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Accompagnement Québec covers five areas:

  • Settlement
  • Community life
  • Francization
  • Employment
  • Immigration steps
Information Session on Premières démarches d’installation (First steps to settling in)
The Premières démarches d’installation session is intended for immigrants. It lasts three hours and is presented in French throughout Québec.

The information session takes you through the steps for settling in Québec upon your arrival.

Objectif Intégration session

The Objectif intégration session is intended for immigrants. It lasts a total of 24 hours and is given in French throughout Québec.

The session focuses on:

  • The democratic values and the Québec values expressed by the Charter of human rights and freedoms
  • Cultural codes in the workplace
  • The legal framework in the workplace

When you participate in a full session of Objectif Intégration, a certificate of participation and learning of democratic values and Québec values expressed by the Charter of human rights and freedoms is given to you.

In addition, you could receive financial assistance of $230 if you take the entire Objectif Integration session.

Services and resources in your region

Many partner organizations of the Gouvernement du Québec can help you in your integration efforts. These organizations are located across the province.


Obtaining recognition of your competencies

Depending on the type of employment you would like to have in Québec, it will be helpful to take steps to have your competencies acquired abroad recognized. These steps aim to have your training and professional experience recognized in order to work in Québec. It is best to begin this process before you arrive in Québec.

If the profession you want to practice is regulated in Québec, you will have to take the steps with the regulatory body concerned. To find out if the trade or profession you want to practice is regulated, visit the Qualifications Québec This hyperlink will open in a new window. website.

If you wish to undertake a program of study in Québec, the competencies you acquired abroad could reduce the length of your training. Educational institutions recognized by the Gouvernement du Québec offer competency recognition services, which allow you to obtain recognition for some of the studies and experience you have acquired abroad.

Requesting a comparative evaluation of your studies

You can request a comparative evaluation of your studies abroad from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration.

This expert opinion generally indicates the educational benchmarks (or main diplomas) and areas of training in Québec that you can compare your studies with. A comparative evaluation for studies done outside Québec may be requested by:

  • Employers
  • Regulatory bodies
  • Educational institutions

Before you submit a request for a comparative evaluation for studies, find out whether you really need such an evaluation as part of a hiring or admission process.

Portrait of the Quebec labor market

The Objectif Intégration Information Session for Immigrants addresses the legal framework in the workplace and familiarizes you with the cultural conventions of the Québec job market.

To learn more about the Québec job market, such as its characteristics, the recruitment process, work life and work language, please consult

Searching for a job

You can start your job search even before arriving in Québec.

The names given to jobs may vary from country to country. This is why it is preferable to emphasize the description of your tasks and your competencies acquired abroad in your Curriculum Vitae (CV).

To prepare yourself well, consult the job search tips for information on:

  • Preparing your CV
  • Job interviews
  • Steps to get a job

You may also create your own employment if you have a certain amount of available capital.

Emplois en région (in French only)

Emplois en région This hyperlink will open in a new window. offers immigrants with permanent residence or a work permit personalized assistance when they search for employment in the regions of Québec. A wide range of job opportunities is available for people who wish to explore settling in regions outside of Montréal.

Programme d’aide à l’intégration des immigrants et des minorités visibles en emploi [Employment Integration Program for Immigrants and Visible Minorities] (PRIIME)

If you are an immigrant or from visible minorities, this program aims to help you gain your first work experience in North America in your field of training or professional experience.


Completing an income tax return This hyperlink will open in a new window.

When you arrive in Québec, it could be advantageous to complete an income tax return.

The Government of Canada and the Gouvernement du Québec provide tax credits and financial assistance to low-income individuals and families. You could receive an amount of money if you convert your income for the year before you arrived in Québec into Canadian dollars.

Thereafter, you must file two tax returns each year:

The tax year runs from January 1 to December 31. Income tax returns must be submitted to both governments no later than April 30 following the tax year:

  • By mail
  • By Internet
  • In person

By filing your tax returns before April 30 of each year and declaring all of your income, you avoid having to pay interest and penalties on amounts you may owe.

The tax return allows the federal and provincial governments to verify if you are eligible for various social programs such as:

  • Family allowances
  • Parental leave
  • etc.

If you have difficulty filing your income tax returns, contact Revenu Québec This hyperlink will open in a new window. and the Canada Revenue Agency This hyperlink will open in a new window.. The customer service personnel will give you all the information you need and, if necessary, will direct you to free or inexpensive tax clinics. You can also seek help from an accountant.

Opening a bank account

To make everyday purchases, you need a bank account.

You can open a bank account by going in person to a financial institution and providing the required identification.

Compare the services of different institutions before choosing where you will open your bank account. Choose the institution that offers you the account that best suits your needs. For example, you could choose the financial institution that:

  • Offers you the best return
  • Charges the least administration costs

Bank card

When you open an account, the financial institution gives you a bank debit card. This allows you to pay for your purchases in most stores. The amount of your purchases is then deducted directly from your account. Service charges may be added to each transaction depending on your agreement with your financial institution.

Banking services are almost all automated. You will find bank machines in most banks, credit unions and other public places (convenience stores, shopping centres, etc.).

Applying for credit

With credit, a financial institution or a business advances you an amount of money. You can then repay this amount later. However, you will have to pay interest on the amount you borrowed. This interest is usually high and is in addition to the amount you have to pay back.

Easy access to credit requires great caution. Their advertising is often enticing. For example, they may offer you gifts, bonus points and other incentives.

Before credit spending, make sure you can make the full payment. Remember, this is in addition to any other financial obligations you already have.

The Associations de consommateurs du Québec This hyperlink will open in a new window. (Québec consumer associations – website in French only) can help you balance your personal or family budget.


Consuming goods and services

The Office de la protection du consommateur This hyperlink will open in a new window. is a Québec government body ensures that merchants comply with the Consumer Protection Act, among other things.

In particular, this act governs transactions carried out between consumers and merchants. This means that merchants have different obligations toward you. These merchants can be, for example:

  • car dealerships;
  • furniture stores;
  • financial institutions;
  • telephone service providers.

The Office can help you avoid problems that can occur when you do business with a merchant. And if you have any problems, the Office is there to inform you of your rights and recourse options.

Know your rights and freedoms

In Québec, the exercise of human rights and freedoms is governed by two charters:

Discrimination is prohibited by the Québec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms. The following are the grounds of discrimination that are prohibited by the Charter:

  • Race
  • Colour
  • Sex
  • Gender identity or expression
  • Pregnancy
  • Sexual orientation
  • Civil status
  • Age (except to the extent provided by law)
  • Religion
  • Political convictions
  • Language
  • Ethnic or national origin
  • Social condition
  • Handicap or use of a means to overcome a handicap

Obtaining legal services

Various services are available if you need to settle a legal dispute.

Small claims

If you have a claim for less than $15,000, you can go through small claims. The procedure is simple and easy to access.

You are not represented by a lawyer. A free mediation service is available to help you resolve the dispute. Ask courthouse staff for more information.


Mediation This hyperlink will open in a new window. is a service that allows you to prevent and resolve conflicts. It is more flexible and faster than a trial.

Interpretation services

If you are not fluent in French or English, interpretation services This hyperlink will open in a new window. are sometimes available free of charge.

Legal aid services

If you have a low income, legal aid offices give you access to the services of a lawyer, or even a notary. Services are free, or offered at a nominal fee.

Crime victims assistance centres

Centres d’aide aux victimes d’actes criminels [crime victims assistance centres] This hyperlink will open in a new window. (CAVAC) offer services to overcome the physical, psychological and social consequences of a crime.

They help:

  • Victims of crime
  • Relatives of victims
  • Witnesses

Crimes may include:

  • Assault
  • Theft
  • Harassment
  • Threats
  • Domestic violence
  • Any other criminal act

There is a CAVAC in every region of Québec. Assistance can take different forms, including support throughout the legal process, before, during and after a trial. The services are free and confidential.

Steps to take with the federal government

Obtaining your social insurance number This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Upon arrival, you must go to a Service Canada office to request your Social Insurance Number (SIN). This is a nine-digit number.

You need it to:

  • Have a job
  • Open a bank account
  • Benefit from the programs and financial assistance offered by the government

It is recommended to memorize your SIN.

Obtaining your permanent resident card This hyperlink will open in a new window.

The permanent residence card is proof that you have resident or permanent resident status in Canada.

If you leave Canada, you will need to present this card in order to return.

To obtain your card, you must apply to the federal government.

Last update: March 20, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec