The Premières démarches d’installation information session takes you through the steps for settling in Québec upon your arrival.
Description of the Information Session
The session is given by several partner organizations of the Gouvernement du Québec, throughout Québec.
The information session lasts three hours.
Free of charge
Participation in the event is free.
The session is offered in French only.
Contents of the session
The Premières démarches d’installation session covers the following topics:
- Important documents to obtain upon arriving in Québec (health insurance, social insurance, driver’s licence, etc.)
- Opening a bank account
- Looking for a place to live
- Daycare services and registering children for school
- The Québec education system
- Tax credits, financial assistance for families and income tax returns
- Your rights as consumers
- Settling in the regions
- Free settlement and integration services offered by partnering community organizations
- Employment services offered by public services and their partners
- The Accompagnement Québec integration service for immigrants
- Comparative evaluation for studies done outside Québec
- The Objectif Intégration session
- Democratic values and the Québec values expressed in the Charter of Human Rights and Freedom
Conditions for admission
To participate in the Premières démarches d’installation (First steps to settling in) session, you must meet the following conditions.
You must be 18 years of age or older.
Knowledge of French
You must have an intermediate knowledge of French to participate in the session.
Status for Eligibility
You must meet one of the following conditions:
- You are a naturalized Canadian citizen.
- You are a permanent resident of Canada.
- You are a temporary resident and hold a permit issued for the purpose of eventual permanent residence or a permit from the Minister of Immigration, Francization and Integration.
- You are a person authorized to submit an application for permanent residence in Canada.
- You are in Québec as a temporary worker for one or more consecutive periods of one year or more.
- You are a foreign student in Québec for a period of more than six months.
- You are a protected person in Canada (who has been granted refugee protection).
If you are working or studying temporarily in Québec
Make sure you meet the conditions of your status.
If you do not comply with these conditions, you may:
- Lose your status.
- Be refused subsequent entry into Québec or elsewhere in Canada.
For more information, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada .
How to register
You can register for the Premières démarches d’installation with a partner organization of the Gouvernement du Québec that offers an information session.
Certain organizations offer a drop-in daycare during the session.
For more assistance, contact the Centre de contacts clientèle (Information service) of the Ministère de l’lmmigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration.
Last update: December 12, 2022