For the purposes of this page, you are considered to be a person who has obtained refugee status in Canada if:
- You submitted an asylum application which was accepted by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) , which granted you refugee or protected person status;
- You live in Québec.
Submit a permanent selection application to the Gouvernement du Québec
You must submit a selection application to the Gouvernement du Québec by using the following form:
Demande de sélection permanente — Personne reconnue réfugiée au Canada ou personne à protéger (incluant les membres de sa famille) (PDF 575 Kb) [Application for permanent selection – Refugee recognized in Canada or person in need of protection (and family members)]
You must include in this application all of your family members who have also been recognized as refugees or protected persons by the IRB.
You may use this same form to submit a selection application at a later stage for your family members:
- who are in Québec and who have not been recognized as refugees or protected persons by the IRB;
- whom you wish to bring from abroad.
Processing costs and times
The review of your application is free.
The processing times vary from 25 to 60 days.
The Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration is currently receiving an exceptionally high volume of applications from individuals recognized as refugees within Quebec. The Ministère is making every effort to ensure that your file is handled as soon as possible.
We are currently processing applications received on October 20, 2022.
This information on processing times is updated regularly.
After submitting the application
After the review of your application, you will receive a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ - Québec Selection Certificate) for you and for your family members included in your application who have obtained refugee or protected person status.
Your family members who do not have refugee or protected person status will receive their CSQ when Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will confirm they are included in your permanent residence application.
Submit a permanent residence application to the Government of Canada
You must submit a permanent residence (visa) application to the Government of Canada. This application covers your family members in Québec or abroad.
You do not have to wait to obtain your Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ - Québec Selection Certificate) to submit your application.
In your permanent residence application, you must first enter the names of your family members:
- who have stayed abroad and whom you wish to bring to Québec so they can join you
- who live with you in Québec but who do not have refugee status, so they can obtain a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ - Québec Selection Certificate).
Consult the page Application for Permanent Residence in Canada: Protected Persons and Convention Refugees of the Government of Canada for the steps to follow.
Québec integration steps
Here are the steps you can take once you obtain your Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ - Québec Selection Certificate):
- Improve your French by taking French courses offered by the Gouvernement du Québec.
- Register for the Objectif Intégration services , if you speak French or after learning it.
- Register with the integration service for immigrants Accompagnement Québec.
- Register with the Québec Health Insurance Plan .
- Take steps to obtain a job by using the services offered by the Centre local d’emploi (CLE) in your territory. You must enter the postal code and check off Services aux individus.
- Begin the steps to obtain recognition of your competencies acquired abroad .
Last update: December 6, 2022