1. Home  
  2. Tourism and recreation  
  3. Sporting and outdoor activities  
  4. Sport hunting  
  5. General rules  
  6. Sale, purchase and possession of game and fur

Sale, purchase and possession of game and fur

Sale, exchange and purchase

It is forbidden to sell, purchase or exchange:

  • bear gallbladders and bile;
  • the flesh of white-tailed deer (except from a game ranch), moose, ruffed grouse, rock ptarmigan, willow ptarmigan, grey partridge, spruce goose and sharp-tailed grouse;
  • migratory birds or parts of them. 

However, the sale and purchase of the flesh of any other legally killed animal is permitted from the third day after the opening of the hunting season for that animal until the 15th day after the end of the hunting season. This rule does not apply to the sale and purchase of the flesh of leopard frogs, green frogs and American bullfrogs, which are permitted year-round.

It is also permitted to sell snowshoe hare meat that has been legally hunted throughout the year. However, the flesh sold must come from the holder of a hare meat preparation permit or a canned hare meat permit. This permit is issued by the ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation under the Food Products Act.

Sale of fur

Resident hunters do not need a dealer’s licence or a tanner’s licence to sell or tan furs that are the product of their own hunting activities.


Possession, sale, purchase, trade and transportation of feathers from migratory birds considered to be game are permitted in order to make artificial flies, bedding items and clothing, or for other similar uses, provided the feathers were obtained under a valid migratory bird hunting licence.

Other animal parts

Possession, purchase, sale, trade and transportation of all other animal parts (e.g. antlers, skin, bones, etc.) are permitted. 

Possession of game without a licence

You do not need a licence to possess game, except for migratory birds. This means that you can share your game with people who do not have hunting licences. However, you must comply with the daily or annual bag limit, and the person to whom you give the game must comply with the authorized possession limit.

Possession of migratory birds

It is prohibited to be in possession of or to transport a migratory bird that has not been prepared and that was killed or taken under a migratory bird hunting licence, unless the head or one of the wings with all its feathers is attached to the carcass to allow for identification.

A prepared bird is a bird:

  • that has been completely gutted and plucked and then, in a location other than the hunting site, has been frozen, processed into sausages, cooked, dried, canned or smoked;
  • whose edible parts have been removed from the carcass and then frozen, processed into sausages, cooked, dried, canned or smoked at a location other than the hunting site;
  • that has been mounted.

If the bird is not being transported by the licence holder, the carcass must be tagged clearly with the following:

  • the licence holder’s surname, first name and contact information;
  • the licence holder’s signature;
  • the migratory game bird hunting licence number under which the bird was killed;
  • the date on which the bird was killed.

Possession of animals or fur

Possession of bear gallbladders removed from the carcass is prohibited. 

Any person who transports an animal (or part of an animal) or raw fur, or has any of these items in his or her possession, must identify himself or herself and indicate the source of the animal or fur if asked to do so by a wildlife protection officer or wildlife protection assistant.

It is forbidden to possess whole carcasses or any part of the brain, spine, eyes, retropharyngeal lymph nodes, tonsils, testicles and other internal organs of cervids, except for caribou, killed outside Québec.  

This rule does not apply to the following anatomical parts:

  • Deboned meat
  • Skinned large pieces with no pieces of spine or head attached
  • Hide with fat removed or tanned
  • Antlers without velvet
  • Disinfected calvaria with no skin, meat or tissue attached
  • Teeth with no meat or tissue attached
  • Any part mounted by a taxidermist

Regulatory Information

Last update: March 19, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec