Instructions to Find an Enterprise in the Enterprise Register
The enterprise register online search service enables you to find information on an enterprise, and on the people involved in its administration and operations. Depending on the search options selected, you can search the enterprise register, the central enterprise database (FCE) or the database of public authorities.
A simple search using "nom d’entreprise" or "autres noms utilisés au Québec" is only possible in the enterprise register.
- Enter the enterprise's name or another name used in Québec in the "Objet de la recherche" field.
- Click on "Rechercher".
The result of the simplified search may present you with several enterprise files. This situation arises when the search criteria apply to several enterprises.
A simple search using one of the numbers associated with the enterprise can only be done in the enterprise register or in the following files:
- Central enterprise database (FCE)
- Database of public authorities
- Enter, in the field "Objet de la recherche" a Québec enterprise number (NEQ), the file number in the central enterprise database or the file number in the database of public authorities.
- Click on Rechercher.
If you do not know the file number and the search by name, words or related words does not bring up the enterprise you are looking for, it may not be listed in the enterprise register. In this case, you can opt for an advanced search "recherche avancée" by changing the search field to central enterprise database (FCE) or the database of public authorities. Here, you can opt for an advanced search that can be found at the bottom of the page. This option allows you to search the enterprise register or the following files:
- Central enterprise database
- Database of public authorities
An advanced search also lets you select the type of search you want (by name, word or related word), as well as the scope of your search by selecting a particular legal form (partnerships, sole proprietorships or legal person).
Words to avoid when searching by words or related words
General words: Certain words that are too general cannot be used on their own for a search, except when searching by name. Example: Restaurant, Hotel, Industry, Shop, etc.
Words relating to types of enterprises: These words relating to types of enterprises cannot be used on their own in a search, except when searching by name.
Example: Cie, Cies, Co., compagnie, companies, company, Corp., corporation, corporations, Enr., Enrg., Reg'd, Inc., incorporated, incorporée, Limited, limitée, Société, sociétés, societies, SENC, S.E.N.C., SENCRL, S.E.N.C.R.L.
Articles and prepositions used alone: These articles and prepositions cannot be used on their own in a search, except when searching by name.
Example: Aux, d’, de, du, des, of, En, et, and, L’, le, les, Chez.
When you search by file number or NEQ, the enterprise's statement of information appears immediately on the screen.
When you search by name, words or related words, the results will display several enterprises listed according to the following criteria:
- File number: the enterprise's file number or NEQ
- Name: enterprise name or other name
- Address: the enterprise's address of domicile
- Status: registration status (registered, unregistered, cancelled, cancelled ex officio or cancelled on request)
- Status change date: the date of the last change declared in the enterprise file
- Name status: status of enterprise name (in force or prior)
- Initial date: the initial date on which the name was entered in the register
- End date: the date on which the name is no longer in use.
In addition, the total number of files found in connection with the search is indicated. However, if this number is too high, only the 450 most significant results will display.
Information available in an enterprise file
To consult a file, click on the hyperlink containing the enterprise's file number or NEQ. You will then have access to the enterprise's statement of information.
In addition to the elements listed above, each enterprise file includes:
- related parties (directors, shareholders, partners, etc.)
- other names used in Québec
- microfilmed and digitized documents
When viewing a file, you can print it by clicking on the printer icon.
Last update: July 27, 2023