Repayment of a student loan
Remission of your student loan debt
The Loan Remission Program allows you to reduce your student loan debt by 15% if you studied full-time and completed a program of study within the expected number of terms and years (prescribed deadline).
The 15% reduction applies to the loan you received for the program of study for which you are applying for a remission.
To be eligible, you must have received a bursary from the Loans and Bursaries Program for each award year (from September 1 to August 31 of the following year) during which you were studying in your program.
For technical training at the college level:
- You must complete your program within the prescribed deadline.
For university level:
- You must complete an undergraduate program within the prescribed deadline. In this case, you may qualify for loan remission on a loan obtained for pre-university college studies if the eligibility requirements are met.
- To receive loan remission for graduate and doctoral programs, you must complete your program within the prescribed deadline and have received a loan remission for your undergraduate program.
The amount of the loan remission is paid to the financial institution that awarded your student loan and is used to repay part of your loan, barring exceptions. You will receive a tax slip which you must attach to your income declaration (tax return). This slip will be available in your Student Financial Assistance File. Revenu Québec does not consider the amount of loan remission to be taxable income.
Make an application
You have 3 years after the end of your program of study to submit your application.
To do this, you will need the following information:
- your permanent code
- the name and the program code
- the name and code of the educational institution
- the start and end dates of the program of study
You will also need your last transcript indicating “Program Completed.”
Submit an application by mail
Loan Remission Program
Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur
1035, rue De La Chevrotière, 20e étage
Québec (Québec) G1R 5A5
Last update: September 11, 2023