Repayment of a financial assistance overpayment

A situation that you declared in your financial assistance application may change during the award year (from September 1 to August 31 of the following year). This change may affect the amounts to be received or already received. As soon as your situation changes, it is important to inform Aide financière aux études, as a delay could affect the payments of your loan or require you to repay any assistance overpayment.

To avoid such inconveniences, you must, for example, update your income in your file if it is different from the one estimated at the time of completing your application for assistance. Other changes that may affect your situation must be declared to us, such as changes in your marital status, family situation, status as a self-supporting student, place of residence or a disability.

After declaring a change, you will receive a new financial assistance statement. A notice will be sent to you if you need to enter into an agreement and repay any assistance overpayment.

If you have received overpayments from the Loans and Bursaries Program, we will determine how we will recover the amount. Depending on the situation, you must:

  • repay the overpayment once you complete your studies
  • pay part of the amount out of your next payments and in the years to follow
  • enter into an agreement with the Collection Department and pay back this part of your student loan debt

We will inform you of how the amount will be recovered in your Student Financial Assistance File.

Last update: April 17, 2023


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec