1. Home  
  2. Family and support for individuals  
  3. Separation and Divorce  
  4. Family mediation  
  5. Family mediation for couples without children or common dependent children

Family mediation for couples without children or common dependent children

Mediation gives you the opportunity to settle your separation amicably.

A mediator is a neutral person who can help you find satisfactory solutions to your separation.

For example, he or she can help you and your ex-spouse discuss the division of property based on family assets or marital status.

You are entitled to up to 3 free hours with an accredited mediator.

Who is eligible?

You’re eligible if you:

  • are separating
  • don't have common dependent children.

Your marital status (married, civil union or de facto union) does not affect your eligibility.

Examples of eligible couples

Couple without children
Kim and William were a couple, but are separating. They did not have kids together while they were a couple.

Couple without dependent children
Mario and Martin were a couple, but are separating. Mario had a daughter with Nadine 35 years ago. Mario’s daughter has not lived with him for 10 years and is financially independent. Mario therefore no longer has a dependent child.

Blended family without common dependent children
Nadège and Thomas were a couple, but are now separating. They did not have kids together while they were a couple. But Nadège’s 13-year-old son from a previous union lived with her and Thomas. Nadège’s son is not a common dependent child, because he is not born from the union with Thomas. 

Couple that no longer has common dependent children
Gilbert and Raymonde are separating after living together for 40 years. They had three children together. The children are now adults, no longer live with their parents, and are financially independent. Their common children are no longer dependent.

Subjects discussed in mediation

Issues that can be discussed in mediation include:

  • division of property, including the family patrimony and any other property rights arising from the marriage or civil union, if applicable;
  • division of property acquired jointly during the years of union;
  • spousal support payments (in the case of a marriage or civil union, or in the case of de facto spouses who agreed to spousal support in a cohabitation agreement).

Find out about the content and conduct of mediation and steps to take following mediation.


The Ministère covers the fees of accredited family mediators This hyperlink will open in a new window. for a maximum of 3 hours.

This includes any time the mediator spends working on the file outside the mediation sessions. 

The fee for the mediator you hire must be exactly $130 per hour, or it will not be paid by the Ministère. Please check beforehand.

The Ministère will not pay:

  • fees for: 
    • modify an existing agreement 
    • have a judgment rendered on the principal application reviewed
    • extra hours needed to reach an agreement (i.e. in excess of the first 3 free hours)
  • administrative costs, including for:
    • file opening
    • long-distance calls
    • photocopies
    • etc.
  • costs and fees paid to obtain a court judgment.

Find a mediator

Last update: January 22, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec