Quickly exit

Reimbursement of expenses connected to your meetings with the prosecutor

Conditions for the reimbursement of expenses

As the victim of a crime, you are entitled to be reimbursed for some of the expenses you incur when you travel to meet a prosecutor.

A prosecutor is a criminal and penal prosecuting attorney (also known as a Crown prosecutor or Crown attorney) working for the Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions (Directeur des poursuites criminelles et pénales, or DPCP).

The meeting must have been called by the prosecutor, for the purpose of

  • authorizing proceedings, or following the authorization of proceedings against the suspect;
  • preparing the case (for example, a meeting to prepare you for testifying in court).

The following people can also be reimbursed:

  • a parent or tutor who accompanies a victim under the age of 18 to a meeting;
  • the close family members of a victim of murder or homicide who must travel to meet a prosecutor to prepare a case and/or attend a trial.

If you have a disability that creates a motor, intellectual, visual, auditory or other sensory deficiency, the person who accompanies you will also be reimbursed, unless the expenses have already been paid by another organization.

Expenses reimbursed

The DPCP will reimburse your meal, travel and accommodation expenses.

The expenses must

  • be reasonable and necessary to allow you to take part in the meeting;
  • have been incurred before you apply for a reimbursement;
  • be confirmed by supporting documents (invoices, receipts, etc.).

Depending on your situation, you may also receive an amount of money to compensate for your time away from work or from your home (allowance for loss of time).

A DPCP staff member will contact you to organize meetings with the prosecutor. You can ask the staff member about

  • the expenses that can be reimbursed;
  • the supporting documents you must provide.

At the meeting, you will be informed about how to apply for a reimbursement.

Last update: January 9, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec