Contribution of parents, sponsor or spouse

Your personal situation determines whether you are considered a self-supporting student or a student with a contribution from your parents, sponsor or spouse. This situation serves to establish your eligibility threshold for the Program.

General notice

Important definitions

The term parents can refer to both of your parents or just one.

The term sponsor refers to the person who agreed to provide for your needs when you obtained your permanent residence, refugee or protected person status.

Students with a spousal contribution

Your spouse’s income is taken into account if you are in one of the following situations:

  • You and this person are a couple united by marriage or civil union.
  • You are living with another person without being a couple united by marriage or civil union, and with at least one child (yours or your spouse's).

Your spouse must complete Schedule 1 of your loan application This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Self-supporting students without a parental contribution

If you are not in one of the situations listed above, you may be considered a self-supporting student (without contribution). However, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are single and both of your parents are deceased.
  • You are divorced, separated or widowed.
  • You are a parent of a child or you are at least 20 weeks pregnant.
  • You supported yourself without residing with your parents for at least 24 months and without being a full-time student.
  • You have worked for at least 24 months without being a full-time student.
  • You have not studied full-time for at least 7 years since the end of your compulsory education.
  • You have been studying at the university level in Québec for at least 3 years and have earned 90 credits in the same program, or 45 credits if you have a major functional disability. A major functional disability can be a severe hearing impairment, severe visual impairment, or a motor or organic impairment.
  • You obtained a bachelor’s degree in Québec or a Diploma of Advanced Studies I in Music.
  • You are pursuing studies in a master’s or doctoral program on a full-time basis.
  • You obtained an undergraduate university degree or equivalent outside Québec.

Student with a parental or sponsor's contribution

A parental or sponsor’s contribution is required when you are not in any of the situations described above.

If your parents no longer live together, only the income of the parent you live with or last lived with is considered.

Your parents or sponsor must complete Schedule 2 of your loan application This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Last update: March 6, 2023


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec