Interview with the officiant

Before the marriage ceremony, you and your intended spouse must meet with the officiant. During the interview, the officiant must:

  • check that you meet the conditions for marriage;
  • ask you to sign the information statement used to publish your marriage notice.

In addition, you will be able to confirm all the details for the ceremony, such as the date and place.

If your marriage is to take place at a courthouse, the interview will be with a clerk or deputy clerk of the Superior Court.

Documents required for the interview with the officiant for your marriage

You and your intended spouse must both show that you meet the conditions for marrying.

Verification of identity

In order to verify your identity, you can give the officiant: 

  • the original of your birth certificate, or
  • a copy of your act of birth.

If you are unable to submit these documents you can contact the court clerk, who will explain the best way to proceed.

If either you or your intended spouse is aged 16 or 17, you must show the court authorization.

Proof of civil status

You must prove to the officiant that you are free from all previous bonds of marriage or civil union, by providing one of the documents listed below to prove your civil status.

Civil statusDocument proving civil status
Single (civil union or marriage annulled)Certified copy of the judgment annulling the marriage or civil union
Single (civil union dissolved)One of the following documents:
  • authentic copy of the joint declaration of dissolution made before a notary;
  • certified copy of the judgment dissolving the civil union
DivorcedOne of the following documents:
  • certified copy of the divorce certificate;
  • certified copy of the irrevocable divorce judgment
WidowedOne of the following documents:
  • copy of the deceased’s act of death;
  • deceased’s death certificate

In addition, if you intend to marry at the courthouse, you and your intended spouse must each complete the relevant section of the form Civil Marriage – General Information (SJ217A) (PDF 361 Kb) and give it to the clerk at your interview. 

Judgments or civil status documents from outside Québec

The officiant will accept, as proof, a court judgment or a document produced outside Québec. However, if the document is in a language other than French or English, the officiant will also require:

  • an official translation produced by a member of the Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec;
  • sworn statement by the translator that the translation is accurate.

If the officiant has doubts about the validity or date of effect of a judgment, he or she will ask you to file a court application for the recognition of a foreign judgment.

Notice of publication of the marriage

The officiant must submit a notice of marriage to the registrar of civil status This hyperlink will open in a new window. by completing the form Application for publication of for a dispensation from publication of a notice of marriage or civil union This hyperlink will open in a new window. available on the website of the registrar of civil status.

The officiant must ensure that the notice of publication is posted on the website 20 days before the date of the marriage.

However, in some cases, the registrar of civil status may grant a dispensation from publication. If a dispensation is granted, the officiant will not prepare the notice of publication.

Last update: February 26, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec