Persons seeking assistance
If you have any comments about the Assistance Measure, please write to us. Your input is important to help us evaluate and improve this new service.
The assistance measure is for any adult who:
- is living with any type of difficulty (for example, difficulty understanding banking transactions, difficulty communicating with service providers or government departments, or difficulty making decisions);
- wants to be assisted;
- understands the scope of the measure;
- is able to express their wishes and preferences.
Profile of persons seeking assistance
Here are some examples of difficulties that could cause you to want to use the assistance measure:
- a difficulty related to loss of autonomy due to aging;
- a difficulty related to a mild intellectual disability;
- a difficulty related to a vision, hearing, or motor impairment;
- a difficulty related to a mental illness;
- a difficulty related to a language barrier;
- a difficulty related to an addiction problem (substance abuse).
When you apply for the assistance measure, you do not have to prove your difficulty to the Curateur public.
Actions that the assisted person can take during the measure
Once your prospective assistant is recognized by the Curateur public, you can it is your responsibility as the assisted person to:
- ask them directly for help as needed (no need to go through the Curateur public);
- inform the Curateur public of any change in your situation (personal information, address, etc.);
- exercise your rights and make sure your assistant does not overstep their responsibilities, e.g., by signing documents or making decisions for you;
- reimburse your assistant for certain expenses incurred in the course of their duties according to the agreement you have set up with them, for example, transportation or communication fees.
Contact the Curateur public about the assistance measure
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Curateur public du Québec
C. P. 521, succ. B
Montréal (Québec) H3B 3K3
Last update: June 29, 2023