Duration and termination of the assistance measure
The assistant is recognized for a maximum period of 3 years. After this period, a new application must be submitted to have the same person or one or two new persons recognized for an additional 3-year period.
Terminating the assistance measure
The assistance measure can also be terminated:
- at the request of the assisted person;
- when the Curateur public is informed that the assistant ceases to act;
- upon the death of the assisted person or the assistant;
- upon institution of a tutorship for the assisted person or for their assistant;
- following the homologation of the assisted person’s or the assistant’s protection mandate;
- following the appointment of a temporary representative for the assistant;
- when the Curateur public decides to terminate it.
The Curateur public may terminate the assistance measure if there are serious concerns that the assisted person could be harmed if the assistant remains in place, for example, in situations where reports have been filed about the assistant’s actions.
As an assisted person, you can ask the Curateur public to terminate the assistance measure at any time.
Similarly, when you no longer wish to act as an assistant, you can ask the Curateur public to terminate your recognition at any time.
To do so, you must fill out one of the two requests for the end of the recognition of an assistant form and submit it via the online My Assistance Measure Account platform .
You can also fill out one of the two forms and mail it to the Curateur public :
- Request for the end of the recognition of an assistant to a person of full age – Assisted person (PDF 1.20 Mb)
- Request for the end of the recognition of an assistant to a person of full age – Assisted person (PDF 1.19 Mb)
The request to end the recognition of an assistant can also be made by email or by phone.
The assistance measure will be terminated once the Curateur public receives the request. The Curateur public then sends the assisted person and the assistant confirmation of termination of the assistance measure and removes the name of the assistant from the Public register of assistants .
If there are two recognized assistants and one of them resigns, the assisted person must confirm to the Curateur public that they want to continue with the other recognized assistant.
Contact the Curateur public about the assistance measure
Toll-free: 1 844 LECURATEUR (532‑8728)
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Curateur public du Québec
C.P. 521, Succ B
Montréal (Québec) H3B 3K3
Last update: March 23, 2023