1. Home  
  2. Immigration  
  3. Work in Québec  
  4. Recognition of skills acquired abroad  
  5. Getting a comparative evaluation  
  6. Preparing your comparative evaluation application

Preparing your comparative evaluation application

Please follow these instructions to submit your comparative evaluation application.

Do not submit original documents unless specifically requested. If you send in an original document, it will not be returned to you.

Your documents must be written entirely in French or English. Otherwise, they must be accompanied by a translation into French or English carried out by a recognized translator. The seals and certification marks of all documents must also be translated.

Complete and sign the form

You must use the Comparative evaluation for studies done outside Québec application form (PDF 224 Kb) (A-0361-FO) in its original format.

Complete it using block letters and then date and sign it.

You must declare all your education since elementary school, even if you do not want all parts of it to be evaluated.

Attach identification

Attach a photocopy of one of the following identification documents.

Pages of your valid passport

The pages of your passport must show:

  • Your identity
  • The issue and expiry dates
  • All changes made to this information

Birth certificate

You can attach a photocopy of your birth certificate.

Document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

It may be:

  • A Canadian citizenship certificate
  • A permanent resident card
  • A permanent residence confirmation document
  • An asylum application

If the name on your education documents is different from the name on your identification document
You must also attach a photocopy of one of the following official documents to explain this difference:

  • Marriage certificate or deed
  • Name change certificate
  • Judgment or certificate of divorce or marriage annulment
  • Death certificate of your spouse

Attach your education documents

Do not submit original documents unless specifically requested. If you send in an original document, it will not be returned to you.

You can only provide certified true copies of the original of the education documents you want to have evaluated. This means a photocopy of an original document that is certified by:

  • The issuer
  • A recognized authority in the country or territory where the document was issued

Every certified true copy of the original must be clear, legible and whole. Please see the List of authorities recognized by the Ministère for certifying documents This hyperlink will open in a new window..

If you ask the educational institution you attended to send us your education documents directly, please specify that they must provide the following information with the documents:

  • Your name
  • Your date of birth
  • The note “Comparative evaluation application”
  • Your comparative evaluation application number

Secondary studies

The documents to provide are:

  • Completed secondary vocational studies: Diplomas and detailed transcripts for every year of study
  • Completed secondary general education: Only the diploma you want to have evaluated
  • Incomplete secondary studies (general or vocational): Transcripts for the last two successfully completed years of study

If your transcripts do not clearly state that you have successfully completed your secondary studies, provide an official attestation from the educational institution that you attended confirming the portion of the training program you successfully completed.

Completed post-secondary education

To obtain a comparative evaluation for completed post-secondary education, you must provide your diplomas and detailed transcripts for every year of study you completed. This includes transcripts for internships completed as part of your official educational training.

Post-secondary studies may be called:

  • Higher education
  • Vocational or technological training
  • College or university studies

Language(s) of education

You can ask to have your language(s) of education shown on your comparative evaluation. This step is optional.

You must attach an attestation specifying the exclusive language of education for each educational program. These must be dated, signed and stamped by your educational institution or the authorities in charge of the educational system.

Attach a letter requesting priority processing (optional)

Priority processing speeds up the analysis of your file. For your file to receive priority processing, it must be complete and accompanied by a letter from:

  • An employer
  • A Service Québec office
  • A regulatory body (body that governs the profession or trade you want to practise in Québec)

The letter must:

  • Be personalized with your name
  • Be dated and signed by the issuer
  • Include the issuer’s contact information
  • Include the logo, for Service Québec offices and regulatory bodies
  • Be stapled to the completed Request for priority processing form (PDF 79 Kb)

The form and the letter requesting priority processing must be placed on top of the application form for a comparative evaluation of studies done outside Québec

If you have already submitted your comparative evaluation application, you must wait to receive the letter confirming your file has been opened before submitting your priority processing request letter. Make sure you put your assigned file number on the letter before submitting it.

Depending on your situation, you should include one of the following documents with your request for priority processing.

Priority processing letter from your employer

This letter must say that the comparative evaluation is required:

  • To hire you
  • To promote you
  • To renew your contract

It should also state the expected employment start date, if applicable.

Priority processing letter from a Service Québec office

The letter must say that the comparative evaluation is required, for example, to admit you to a training program managed by Service Québec.

Priority processing letter from a regulatory body

The letter must say that the comparative evaluation is required to process your application.

If you do not meet all these requirements, you cannot have your comparative evaluation processed by priority. Priority processing may also be suspended if more in-depth research is required for your file.

Attach the fees required to process your application

Full payment of the fee must be included with the forms and required documents.

Here are the fees for a comparative evaluation, effective January 1, 2024. The fees are adjusted on January 1 of each year.

Comparative evaluation for studies done outside Québec: $134

The fees must be paid:

  • In Canadian funds only
  • By you or a third party
  • When the application is submitted

Accepted payment methods

You may use the following payment methods.

Credit card

Complete the Payment by credit card form (PDF 140 Kb). You must sign the original and attach it to your application or it will be returned to you.

If your credit card transaction is rejected, your comparative evaluation application will be returned to you by regular mail with a letter specifying the reason(s) for its return. The submitted payment form will be destroyed.

Postal money order, cheque or bank draft

The following postal money orders, bank drafts and certified cheques are accepted:

  • Canada Post money order
  • Certified cheque drawn on a Canadian bank
  • Bank draft drawn on a Canadian bank
  • Cheque issued by a foreign exchange dealer
  • Cheque from a Canadian company

Cheques and bank drafts issued less than six months earlier must be:

  • Made payable to the following name: Minister of Finance of Québec
  • Mailed to the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration, together with your application
  • Identified with the applicant’s name in block letters on the back

The following payment methods are not accepted:

  • Cash payments
  • Personal cheques
  • Traveller’s cheques



Last update: April 5, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec