Recognition of skills acquired abroad
After submitting your comparative evaluation application for studies taken outside Québec
Once your request has been submitted, we will process it and you can, if necessary, send us other documents or your questions.
Processing of your application
You will receive a letter that confirms the opening of your file and gives you your file number.
Processing your comparative evaluation application allows us to:
- Verify the documents you submitted and the accuracy of any translations
- Confirm the recognition of your educational institution and your training by the authorities in charge of the educational system
- Compare your training with the educational benchmark (main diplomas) and the areas of training in Québec
Each diploma that you submit is assessed based on its main features, such as:
- Length of the training
- Prerequisites for the study program
- Level of education
- Prospects after the study program
The quality of the teaching and the performance of the educational institution have no effect on the results of your comparative evaluation, as long as you have received the passing grade.
Submitting documents, information, comments or questions about comparative evaluation
After receiving the response concerning your comparative evaluation application, you have 365 days (one year) to submit:
- New documents for review
- Additional information to provide
- Comments or questions, including disagreement about the results of your comparative evaluation application
Your communication must contain:
- A copy of the most recent identification form or our letter of response to your comparative evaluation application; put it in full view, on top of the other documents
- Your comparative evaluation file number
- Your reason for contacting us
You must send your documents, information, questions or comments about the comparative evaluation by mail to the following address:
Direction de l’enregistrement et de l’évaluation comparative
Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration
Suivi – Évaluation comparative
285, rue Notre-Dame Ouest, 4e étage
Montréal (Québec) H2Y 1T8
If you are communicating your disagreement about the results of your comparative evaluation, you must provide new information that justifies a second review of your application.
After the 365-day period (one year) has elapsed, you will have to:
- Send a new application for comparative evaluation
- Pay the fees again
- Attach the required documents in the requested formats
Sending a new comparative evaluation application does not guarantee that you will get a different or better result.
Forwarding a copy of your comparative evaluation to a third party
If you want to forward a copy of your comparative evaluation to an employer, regulatory body or educational institution, make a digital copy (e.g., PDF).
The digital copy can be sent electronically.
If you are asked for the original comparative evaluation, ask for it to be returned to you after consultation.
Understanding the security features of a comparative evaluation document
The comparative evaluation has two security features:
- On the front, at the bottom of the page, two microprinted blue lines display the word IMMIGRATION in a continuous band.
- On the back, a repeating motif of fleurs-de-lis, printed in white ink, is visible in oblique view.
Make sure that the paper document has both these features.
Last update: June 26, 2023