1. Home  
  2. Immigration  
  3. Work in Québec  
  4. Temporary workers programs  
  5. Temporary Foreign Worker Program  
  6. When your spouse and children accompany you

When your spouse and children accompany you

Discover the employment and educational possibilities for your spouse and children who accompany you during your work stay in Québec.

Note that it is also possible to stay in Quebec as a visitor This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Obtaining a work permit for your spouse

Your spouse may work during your stay in Québec, regardless of whether you are:

  • Legally married
  • Partners in a de facto union
  • The same sex or a different sex

You must take the steps for your spouse at the same time as your own application. 

If you hold a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec Selection Certificate) and a work permit issued under LMIA exemption A73 This hyperlink will open in a new window., A75 This hyperlink will open in a new window. (BOWP), or A76 (IMP+) This hyperlink will open in a new window., your spouse is eligible for an open work permit, regardless of whether your work permit is open or employer-specific.

Otherwise, the steps to be taken vary according to the type of job you will hold in Québec. You must first find the title and the code of the TEER category for your occupation from the National Occupational Classification This hyperlink will open in a new window..

General notice

As of November 16, 2022, the Québec government is applying the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) This hyperlink will open in a new window. in the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

Since January 30, 2023, the family members of a temporary foreign worker in the high-wage stream are admissible for an open work permit, regardless of the TEER category of the profession of the principal applicant.

At the moment, family members of a foreign worker are not admissible for the open work permit if the foreign worker is in:

  • TEER category 4 or 5 of the low-wage stream;
  • The Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP);
  • The Agricultural Stream.

Their admissibility is planned for future phases, for which the effective date is undetermined. In these situations, your spouse can come to Québec:

Full-time or part-time studies for your spouse

It is possible for your spouse to study full time or part time in Québec while you work there temporarily.

To do this, she or he must obtain the authorizations to study in Québec. Your spouse may submit an application from abroad, at the same time as your application as a temporary worker.

Youe spouse will have to assume the cost of her or his studies to come study in Québec, unless they are eligible for a tuition exemption.

Your children’s education

The authorizations to be obtained for the education of your children who accompany you vary according to their level of schooling and their age. 

Before elementary school

Your children who accompany you and who are not old enough to attend school do not need to obtain authorizations.

Starting from elementary school

Starting from elementary school, your minor children who accompany you generally will have to obtain: 

  • A Québec Acceptance Certificate, issued by the Gouvernement du Québec
  • A work permit, issued by the Government of Canada.

For the steps to take, go to Authorizations to study in Québec page.

You must apply for admission to a school in the neighbourhood where you will reside during your study so that your child can attend:

  • Kindergarten
  • Elementary school, or
  • Secondary school

You may not have to pay tuition, except if your children are enrolled in:

  • A private institution
  • A college institution, or
  • A university institution

You then may have to pay the same fees as residents of Québec.

Children 18 years or older

Your children over 18 years old who accompany you must submit their own application for studies or temporary work.

Language of education

Even though Québécois children must attend Francophone schools to the end of their secondary education, you have the possibility of choosing your children's language and institution for the duration of your temporary stay.

Studies in French

If your children are enrolled in the public sector but do not have a sufficient knowledge of French, they will be integrated into a welcome class to learn basic French. They then will be integrated into regular courses.

Studies in English

If you wish to enroll your child in a school where education is given in English, you must apply for a temporary authorization from that institution. You will have to provide your child’s birth certificate or any other official document attesting to:

  • Your child's date of birth
  • Your child's sex
  • The names of your child's parents



Last update: June 26, 2023


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec