Period of study in Québec
Required conditions to study in Québec
To study in Québec, you must respect the following conditions:
- Be admitted to a designated educational institution in Québec ;
- Demonstrate your financial capacity to assume the costs of living and studying in Québec;
- Pay the fees required to process your application;
- Commit to respecting all the conditions of your Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).
Demonstrating financial capacity
Respecting the obligations of the Québec Acceptance Certificate
If you do not respect the conditions of your Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), it could be revoked. You must commit to:
- Receiving the level of education that appears on your CAQ;
- Having health and hospital insurance for you and your accompanying family members for the duration of your stay;
- Making your studies your main activity (study full time). This condition does not apply if you are a:
- Temporary worker;
- Family member accompanying a temporary worker;
- Family member of a foreign student;
- Person who has refugee or protected person status in Canada;
- Person seeking asylum.
Obtaining health and hospital insurance
You must have health and hospital insurance for the duration of your studies. This obligation also applies to accompanying family members.
Check if your country of origin has signed a social security agreement with Québec .
If your country of origin has a social security agreement with Québec
You can benefit from the protection of the Québec public health insurance plan free of charge.
Contact the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec as soon as possible upon your arrival in Québec to request a health insurance card.
Your accompanying family members can usually benefit from this health insurance. Otherwise, they will have to quickly obtain private health insurance.
You can also apply for additional insurance for certain services that may not be covered, such as medication or dental care. Check with your educational institution.
If your country of origin does not have a social security agreement with Québec
If you come to study at a university in Québec, you will be automatically registered for the group health insurance plan for foreign students. You must pay the premium established by your university.
Other educational institutions also offer a group health insurance plan for foreign students. Check with your educational institution.
If you come to study at an educational institution in Québec that does not offer this option, you must obtain private health and hospital insurance for you and your accompanying family members.
Your educational institution can suggest private insurance. Otherwise, contact the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (CLHIA) for information on insurance companies that offer this type of protection.
When you arrive in Québec, you will have 5 to 30 days to obtain private insurance. After this time, you may not be able to get insurance. In this case, you will not respect the conditions of your stay and your CAQ could be revoked.
Last update: October 13, 2021