Period of study in Québec
Getting help to settle in
Remember to arrive in Québec at least two weeks before the start of the course to familiarize yourself with your new environment.
Steps to follow upon your arrival
When you arrive in Quebec, you will have to take steps.
Arriving at the airport
When you arrive at an airport or other border post, you must have in your possession:
- Your passport;
- Your study permit, or the letter of authorization issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada;
- Your temporary resident visa, if applicable;
- Your Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies;
- Your health certificate, if you had to pass a medical examination before obtaining your study permit;
- A letter of admission from your educational institution.
If you arrive in Québec through the Montréal-Trudeau International Airport, the staff of the Reception Service of the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration will greet you. Staff can sign you up for information sessions on Québec .
- If you are arriving on an international flight
You must first go through Canadian customs. Then, you will be directed to the Reception Service of the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration: Located on the 1st floor of international arrivals, in the room named “Immigration 2.” Hours of operation are 11 a.m. to midnight.
- If you are arriving on a flight from another Canadian airport
Go to the Reception Service of the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration located in the national arrivals area. Hours of operation are 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. To get to your destination in Québec, various airport transportation services are available.
- Bring your personal effects
You may be asked to present to customs controls a list of personal effects that you are carrying with you or that will be shipped to you later. For more information, see the Bringing goods to Canada page.
If you have not chosen a place in residence, you must find housing.
Consult the Settle and integrate in Québec guide for advice on finding housing.
Obtaining health and hospital insurance
You must have health and hospitalization insurance for yourself and any accompanying dependents. You must also maintain this insurance for the duration of their studies.
For more information, visit the Obtain health and hospital insurance page.
Steps for settlement and integration
To facilitate your settlement in Québec, you can:
- Improve your French by taking online French courses offered by the Gouvernement du Québec;
- Register with Accompagnement Québec, the integration service for immigrants;
- Consult the Settle and integrate in Québec guide.
To be eligible, you must:
- Have a valid address in Québec;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).
Last update: October 13, 2021