Contesting a declaration

As a creditor or interested party, you can contest the debtor’s declaration if you do not agree with it.

You have 15 days to file your contestation after you become aware of the declaration. The contestation is notified to the debtor, the clerk and the bailiff, if applicable.

The contestation may be based, among other things, on:

  • the debtor’s declared income;
  • the debtor’s family responsibilities.

You must present your contestation before a judge of the Court of Québec, with at least 3 days’ prior notice to the debtor.

You must pay the court costs applicable under the Tariff of court costs in civil matters and of court office fees This hyperlink will open in a new window.. However, you may add the costs and the costs of notification (such as mail costs) to the total amount of your claim against the debtor.

It is important to note that a contestation does not interrupt the distribution of the amounts deposited.


However, the contestation procedure should not be used to contest the amount of your claim, as declared by the debtor. If you do not agree with the amount declared, you should file a claim using the form Claim/Voluntary deposit (SJ-224A) (PDF 266 Kb).

You must also provide supporting documents for your claim.

You have 30 days to file your claim after becoming aware of the debtor’s declaration.

Last update: January 23, 2024


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec